Aug 17, 2014, 11:30 AM EST
Kentucky traveled to the Bahamas for its summer tour scheduled to play six games in eight days. While the Willie Cauley-Stein and Trey Lyle — two potential starters — made the trip, both were ruled out of the exhibition games.
Before Saturday’s game against Champagne Chalons-Reims of France, Cauley-Stein said he should be “ready to play again” once the team returns to campus. After the game, he added that he needs a CT scan and is likely one week away from returning. The 7-foot junior has been recovering from an ankle injury suffered in the NCAA tournament.
Back in June, Lyles, the 6-foot-10 five-star forward, was ruled out indefinitely while he recovered from a “medical procedure on his left leg”. Following Saturday afternoon’s game, he too updated his status, saying he’s not too far behind Cauley-Stein.
On what’s keeping him sidelined: “I had an injury a couple months ago and just working my way back from it.”
On the actual injury: “It was just my leg.”
On when he’ll be cleared: “I’m probably two weeks behind Willie. I have one more CT scan I gotta go get, too.”
Lyles was the fourth and final commit in Kentucky’s Class of 2014. After five games in the Bahamas, the other three freshmen have been able to stand out. Karl-Anthony Towns is tied with Aaron Harrison for second in scoring at 11.2 points per game while averaging 6.8 boards. Devin Booker has started all five games alongside four returners. Tyler Ulis has worked primarily with the second unit, but was on the floor to close out Saturday afternoon’s win, coming up with a steal leading to a breakaway layup to ice the victory.
Kentucky returns to Lexington after Sunday’s matchup with the Dominican Republic.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 2
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)