Aug 17, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Kentucky traveled to the Bahamas for its summer tour scheduled to play six games in eight days. While the Willie Cauley-Stein and Trey Lyle — two potential starters — made the trip, both were ruled out of the exhibition games.
Before Saturday’s game against Champagne Chalons-Reims of France, Cauley-Stein said he should be “ready to play again” once the team returns to campus. After the game, he added that he needs a CT scan and is likely one week away from returning. The 7-foot junior has been recovering from an ankle injury suffered in the NCAA tournament.
Back in June, Lyles, the 6-foot-10 five-star forward, was ruled out indefinitely while he recovered from a “medical procedure on his left leg”. Following Saturday afternoon’s game, he too updated his status, saying he’s not too far behind Cauley-Stein.
On what’s keeping him sidelined: “I had an injury a couple months ago and just working my way back from it.”
On the actual injury: “It was just my leg.”
On when he’ll be cleared: “I’m probably two weeks behind Willie. I have one more CT scan I gotta go get, too.”
Lyles was the fourth and final commit in Kentucky’s Class of 2014. After five games in the Bahamas, the other three freshmen have been able to stand out. Karl-Anthony Towns is tied with Aaron Harrison for second in scoring at 11.2 points per game while averaging 6.8 boards. Devin Booker has started all five games alongside four returners. Tyler Ulis has worked primarily with the second unit, but was on the floor to close out Saturday afternoon’s win, coming up with a steal leading to a breakaway layup to ice the victory.
Kentucky returns to Lexington after Sunday’s matchup with the Dominican Republic.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)