Aug 17, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
On Friday, the Southern Miss announced that guard Aaron Brown was granted his release from the program. The 6-foot-5 guard, who played his first two seasons at Temple, will be eligible to play the 2014-2015 season under the graduate transfer rule.
The weekend wasn’t over by the time multiple high-major programs have expressed interest in Brown. Adam Zagoria of SNY.tv reported on Sunday afternoon that Brown is considering Minnesota, Oregon and Rutgers, as well as Iona and Southeastern. This would be a notable late addition to a high-major team like Oregon, which dismissed three players accused of sexual assault and had another recruit fail to be admitted to the university. A mid-major like Iona, which is looking to return to the NCAA tournament, would also benefit from adding Brown, especially since MAAC rival Manhattan recently got word that Cincinnati transfer Jermaine Lawrence would be eligible this season.
According to BigGoldNation.com, the Rivals Southern Miss affiliate site, Boston College and Rhode Island are two possible destinations for Brown. Worth noting that URI head coach Dan Hurly coached Brown at St. Benedict’s Prep (New Jersey). Brown will visit the Boston College campus on Monday, according to Zagoria.
Boston College saw starting guard Joe Rahon (Saint Mary’s) as well as second-leading scorer Ryan Anderson (Arizona) transfer following the 2013-2014 season. New head coach Jim Christian does retain Olivier Hanlan, who averaged 18.5 points per game.
Brown, who was a starter on the top team in Conference USA last season, averaged 9.9 points and 4.3 rebounds per game, while shooting 38 percent from beyond the arc.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)