Aug 17, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
On Friday, the Southern Miss announced that guard Aaron Brown was granted his release from the program. The 6-foot-5 guard, who played his first two seasons at Temple, will be eligible to play the 2014-2015 season under the graduate transfer rule.
The weekend wasn’t over by the time multiple high-major programs have expressed interest in Brown. Adam Zagoria of SNY.tv reported on Sunday afternoon that Brown is considering Minnesota, Oregon and Rutgers, as well as Iona and Southeastern. This would be a notable late addition to a high-major team like Oregon, which dismissed three players accused of sexual assault and had another recruit fail to be admitted to the university. A mid-major like Iona, which is looking to return to the NCAA tournament, would also benefit from adding Brown, especially since MAAC rival Manhattan recently got word that Cincinnati transfer Jermaine Lawrence would be eligible this season.
According to BigGoldNation.com, the Rivals Southern Miss affiliate site, Boston College and Rhode Island are two possible destinations for Brown. Worth noting that URI head coach Dan Hurly coached Brown at St. Benedict’s Prep (New Jersey). Brown will visit the Boston College campus on Monday, according to Zagoria.
Boston College saw starting guard Joe Rahon (Saint Mary’s) as well as second-leading scorer Ryan Anderson (Arizona) transfer following the 2013-2014 season. New head coach Jim Christian does retain Olivier Hanlan, who averaged 18.5 points per game.
Brown, who was a starter on the top team in Conference USA last season, averaged 9.9 points and 4.3 rebounds per game, while shooting 38 percent from beyond the arc.
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 2
- California guard Tyrone Wallace to return for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (17)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)