Aug 18, 2014, 12:33 PM EST
Earlier this month, Amir Garrett, a former top 100 recruit that played for St. John’s and transferred to Cal-St. Northridge, made the decision to give up basketball for good.
The 6-foot-5 left-hander is instead focusing on a baseball career that saw him get drafted by the Cincinnati Reds and given a $1 million contract.
And based on the way he has been playing of late, it appears to be the right decision. Garrett recently topped the list of Baseball America’s prospect hot sheet, as he is now playing the best baseball of his career. He’s 22 years old and he’s still playing for Cincinnati’s low-A ball team, the Dayton Dragons, but mowing down hitters as a left-handed pitcher for a team that has already invested seven figures in his future is probably a better decision than chasing NBA dreams as a basketball player in the Big West.
Here’s what Baseball America had to say about him:
Garrett hasn’t given up a run in his past three starts, and he has 76 strikeouts to 19 walks since June 1. With a 92-95 mph fastball and a slider that has developed into an average pitch that flashes plus according to scouts (albeit more as a chase pitch than one he can throw for strikes so far), Garrett appears to have the makings of being at least a power lefty reliever with the athleticism to be much more.
To read more about Garrett’s path to becoming a baseball star, click here.
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 0
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)