Aug 19, 2014, 1:40 PM EST
Shaka Smart has made his first foray into the 2015 recruiting class as he landed Kenny Williams, a talented, 6-foot-2 guard from southern Virginia.
“Extremely blessed and excited to announce that I have committed to play my college basketball at VCU,” Williams tweeted. He’s currently listed as a three-star recruit and the No. 124 player in the class of 2015, but that ranking is expected to go up once it gets updated.
Williams played very well this July, collecting offers from the likes of North Carolina, Virginia Tech, Minnesota and Indiana, but he decided to stay local. The Rams had made him a priority early on in his high school career.
“It just felt like the right thing to do,” Williams told Rivals.com. “The situation couldn’t get any better than VCU.”
Williams is a perfect fit for Smart’s ‘Havoc’ system at VCU. He’s not an elite defender or a next-level athlete, but he’s a good enough defender that he won’t be a liability defensively in a system that prioritizes full court pressure and forcing turnovers. His biggest strength is his ability to shoot the ball from deep, which is something that the Rams lacked last season, but he’s more of a combo-guard than a pure off-guard.
Put that all together and you see why Williams was such an important recruit for the Rams. He’s talented enough to be coveted by the big boys, local enough to have been spotted early by VCU, he’s a very good fit for their system and he fills a need that the team has.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)