Aug 19, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
John Wallace Jr. has settled on a place to continue his collegiate career.
A native of Rochester, New York, Wallace spent the past two seasons playing for Hillsborough C.C. in Tampa, Florida, and will continue his collegiate career at Nicholls State, according to the Syracuse Post-Standard.
In a vacuum, a team in the Southland adding a 6-foot-1 JuCo point guard isn’t really news, but this isn’t in a vacuum.
If you don’t recognize the name yet, I’m assuming that you’re not from Upstate New York, where John Wallace, Sr., is a legend. He was Mr. Basketball in New York when he led Greene Athena HS in Rochester to their only state championship before going to Syracuse. He carried the Orange for four years, averaging 22.2 points as a senior when he took them to the national title game.
I think it’s safe to say that the Colonels just become the most popular Southland program in New York.
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)