Aug 19, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
John Wallace Jr. has settled on a place to continue his collegiate career.
A native of Rochester, New York, Wallace spent the past two seasons playing for Hillsborough C.C. in Tampa, Florida, and will continue his collegiate career at Nicholls State, according to the Syracuse Post-Standard.
In a vacuum, a team in the Southland adding a 6-foot-1 JuCo point guard isn’t really news, but this isn’t in a vacuum.
If you don’t recognize the name yet, I’m assuming that you’re not from Upstate New York, where John Wallace, Sr., is a legend. He was Mr. Basketball in New York when he led Greene Athena HS in Rochester to their only state championship before going to Syracuse. He carried the Orange for four years, averaging 22.2 points as a senior when he took them to the national title game.
I think it’s safe to say that the Colonels just become the most popular Southland program in New York.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)