Aug 20, 2014, 5:38 PM EDT
New UT Martin head coach Heath Schroyer spent the past three seasons on Dave Rice’s staff at UNLV, and according to a report Schroyer has added a former Runnin’ Rebel to his roster.
Guard Deville Smith, who was one of the options used by Rice at the point guard position last season, has decided to transfer to UT Martin according to Jon Rothstein of CBSSports.com. Last season Smith, who played his freshman campaign at Mississippi State before transferring to Southwest Mississippi CC following the departure of head coach Rick Stansbury, averaged 9.7 points and 2.7 assists per game.
Smith started 18 of the 32 games he played in last year, and he shot 42.6% from the field and 33.8% from beyond the arc. Smith’s best performance at UNLV came in a loss at Boise State on February 22, as he accounted for 22 points and seven assists in the 91-90 defeat. His game-high in assists was eight (in a win at Utah State), and Smith accounted for five or more assists in five games in 2013-14.
According to the report UT-Martin is expected to request an immediate eligibility waiver on Smith’s behalf. The Skyhawks have to replace two of their top three scorers from last season, with forward Myles Taylor (14.6 ppg, 6.3 rpg) being the team’s leading returning scorer. Besides Smith, Schroyer and his staff have brought in eight newcomers including junior college All-American Alex Anderson and former UTEP signee and junior college transfer Twymond Howard.
Anderson averaged 16.7 points and 4.6 assists per game at Itawamba CC last season, helping to lead Itawamba to its first Mississippi Association of Community and Junior Colleges title since 2008.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)