Aug 20, 2014, 5:38 PM EST
New UT Martin head coach Heath Schroyer spent the past three seasons on Dave Rice’s staff at UNLV, and according to a report Schroyer has added a former Runnin’ Rebel to his roster.
Guard Deville Smith, who was one of the options used by Rice at the point guard position last season, has decided to transfer to UT Martin according to Jon Rothstein of CBSSports.com. Last season Smith, who played his freshman campaign at Mississippi State before transferring to Southwest Mississippi CC following the departure of head coach Rick Stansbury, averaged 9.7 points and 2.7 assists per game.
Smith started 18 of the 32 games he played in last year, and he shot 42.6% from the field and 33.8% from beyond the arc. Smith’s best performance at UNLV came in a loss at Boise State on February 22, as he accounted for 22 points and seven assists in the 91-90 defeat. His game-high in assists was eight (in a win at Utah State), and Smith accounted for five or more assists in five games in 2013-14.
According to the report UT-Martin is expected to request an immediate eligibility waiver on Smith’s behalf. The Skyhawks have to replace two of their top three scorers from last season, with forward Myles Taylor (14.6 ppg, 6.3 rpg) being the team’s leading returning scorer. Besides Smith, Schroyer and his staff have brought in eight newcomers including junior college All-American Alex Anderson and former UTEP signee and junior college transfer Twymond Howard.
Anderson averaged 16.7 points and 4.6 assists per game at Itawamba CC last season, helping to lead Itawamba to its first Mississippi Association of Community and Junior Colleges title since 2008.
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 0
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)