Aug 20, 2014, 6:42 PM EDT
With Roberto Nelson out of eligibility and Hallice Cooke having transferred, Oregon State is in need of perimeter players capable of stepping up in the first season of the Wayne Tinkle era. Among the guards Tinkle has at his disposal this season are junior college transfer Gary Payton II, and returnees Malcolm Duvivier and Langston Morris-Walker. Another option is 6-foot-3 freshman Chai Baker, who signed with the Pac-12 school last November and helped lead Malone (Florida) HS to a Class 1A state title last season.
However during a workout at Oregon State on Tuesday, Baker collapsed with a staff member performing CPR before having to use a heart defibrillator in order to resuscitate Baker according to Connor Letorneau of The Oregonian. As of Wednesday afternoon reports were that Baker was hospitalized in “critical but stable condition” at Good Samaritan Medical Center in Corvallis.
According to CSN Northwest, a report by Allison Posey of WMBB TV in Panama City, Florida stated that a blood clot in Baker’s leg was believed to be the cause of the medical issue. Also of note in this situation is the fact that Baker passed the heart screening tests required of athletes by Oregon State.
Obviously it’s too early to determine anything with regards to Baker’s status for the upcoming season, and given the situation basketball will be the least of anyone’s concerns at this time. Hopefully Baker’s stay in the hospital is a short one, and thankfully a quick-thinking staff member knew what to do when the young man collapsed.
- Kyle Wiltjer to return to Gonzaga for his senior season 0
- Utah’s Jakob Poeltl will return to school for his sophomore season 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Former Kansas State guard transferring to Creighton 0
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)