Aug 21, 2014, 7:21 PM EST
After leading the Texas Longhorns to a 24-win season and a return to the NCAA tournament, head coach Rick Barnes has been rewarded with a contract extension through 2019 according to the San Antonio Express-News. The extension, which simply tacks on four years to Barnes’ current deal, was approved by the school’s board of regents on Thursday.
With there being no raise other than what was already written into Barnes’ contract (he stands to make $2.55 million this season), this may not be seen as a big deal. But the additional years are a sign of stability that Barnes and his staff can point to while on the recruiting trail. And after entering the 2013-14 season amidst skepticism, Barnes’ Longhorns look poised to put together an excellent season in 2014-15.
With their entire rotation from last season back and the addition of five-star center Myles Turner, some consider Texas to be the biggest threat to Kansas’ current run of earning at least a share of the last ten Big 12 regular season titles. But those two programs will have plenty of competition this season, with reigning conference tournament champion Iowa State, Baylor, Oklahoma and Kansas State among the teams who also harbor thoughts of winning the Big 12.
Seven of the league’s ten teams reached the NCAA tournament last season, with West Virginia landing in the Postseason NIT. Texas will not only look to make a return trip to the NCAA tournament but also reach the Final Four, something the program last did in 2003.
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 1
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)