Aug 21, 2014, 7:21 PM EST
After leading the Texas Longhorns to a 24-win season and a return to the NCAA tournament, head coach Rick Barnes has been rewarded with a contract extension through 2019 according to the San Antonio Express-News. The extension, which simply tacks on four years to Barnes’ current deal, was approved by the school’s board of regents on Thursday.
With there being no raise other than what was already written into Barnes’ contract (he stands to make $2.55 million this season), this may not be seen as a big deal. But the additional years are a sign of stability that Barnes and his staff can point to while on the recruiting trail. And after entering the 2013-14 season amidst skepticism, Barnes’ Longhorns look poised to put together an excellent season in 2014-15.
With their entire rotation from last season back and the addition of five-star center Myles Turner, some consider Texas to be the biggest threat to Kansas’ current run of earning at least a share of the last ten Big 12 regular season titles. But those two programs will have plenty of competition this season, with reigning conference tournament champion Iowa State, Baylor, Oklahoma and Kansas State among the teams who also harbor thoughts of winning the Big 12.
Seven of the league’s ten teams reached the NCAA tournament last season, with West Virginia landing in the Postseason NIT. Texas will not only look to make a return trip to the NCAA tournament but also reach the Final Four, something the program last did in 2003.
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)