Aug 21, 2014, 12:46 PM EDT
It has now been more than two weeks since the College of Charleston fired head coach Doug Wojcik due to allegations of mistreating his players, and with the season’s first game now less than three months away, the school has yet to hire a new coach.
The latest twist in the coaching search involves former head coach Bobby Cremins, according to a report from the Post and Courier.
Cremins coached at the program from 2006-2012, but left in January of his final season to take a medical leave of absence. He went 125-68 in his time with the Cougars, and was previously the head coach at Georgia Tech for 19 seasons.
The reason for the interest in Cremins, according to the report, is that Charleston wants to hire Anthony Johnson, an alum and a longtime NBA point guard, but they are worried about the fact that he has no coaching experience. Johnson would spend a season as an assistant on the Charleston staff, a de facto “coach in waiting”, before taking over for Cremins for the 2015-2016 season.
UConn did something similar a couple of years back when they hired Kevin Ollie as an assistant coach under Jim Calhoun. Ollie eventually took over for Calhoun when he retired. Fred Hoiberg was hired by Iowa State without any coaching experience as well. Both of those decisions have turned out to be quite successful.
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 0
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)