Aug 21, 2014, 12:46 PM EDT
It has now been more than two weeks since the College of Charleston fired head coach Doug Wojcik due to allegations of mistreating his players, and with the season’s first game now less than three months away, the school has yet to hire a new coach.
The latest twist in the coaching search involves former head coach Bobby Cremins, according to a report from the Post and Courier.
Cremins coached at the program from 2006-2012, but left in January of his final season to take a medical leave of absence. He went 125-68 in his time with the Cougars, and was previously the head coach at Georgia Tech for 19 seasons.
The reason for the interest in Cremins, according to the report, is that Charleston wants to hire Anthony Johnson, an alum and a longtime NBA point guard, but they are worried about the fact that he has no coaching experience. Johnson would spend a season as an assistant on the Charleston staff, a de facto “coach in waiting”, before taking over for Cremins for the 2015-2016 season.
UConn did something similar a couple of years back when they hired Kevin Ollie as an assistant coach under Jim Calhoun. Ollie eventually took over for Calhoun when he retired. Fred Hoiberg was hired by Iowa State without any coaching experience as well. Both of those decisions have turned out to be quite successful.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Syracuse legend to undergo surgery on a brain tumor this week (2)
- Wake Forest dismissed senior point guard for rules violation (1)
- Is Louisville’s non-conference schedule weak by design? (1)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)