Aug 21, 2014, 12:46 PM EST
It has now been more than two weeks since the College of Charleston fired head coach Doug Wojcik due to allegations of mistreating his players, and with the season’s first game now less than three months away, the school has yet to hire a new coach.
The latest twist in the coaching search involves former head coach Bobby Cremins, according to a report from the Post and Courier.
Cremins coached at the program from 2006-2012, but left in January of his final season to take a medical leave of absence. He went 125-68 in his time with the Cougars, and was previously the head coach at Georgia Tech for 19 seasons.
The reason for the interest in Cremins, according to the report, is that Charleston wants to hire Anthony Johnson, an alum and a longtime NBA point guard, but they are worried about the fact that he has no coaching experience. Johnson would spend a season as an assistant on the Charleston staff, a de facto “coach in waiting”, before taking over for Cremins for the 2015-2016 season.
UConn did something similar a couple of years back when they hired Kevin Ollie as an assistant coach under Jim Calhoun. Ollie eventually took over for Calhoun when he retired. Fred Hoiberg was hired by Iowa State without any coaching experience as well. Both of those decisions have turned out to be quite successful.
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 0
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)