Aug 21, 2014, 12:46 PM EDT
It has now been more than two weeks since the College of Charleston fired head coach Doug Wojcik due to allegations of mistreating his players, and with the season’s first game now less than three months away, the school has yet to hire a new coach.
The latest twist in the coaching search involves former head coach Bobby Cremins, according to a report from the Post and Courier.
Cremins coached at the program from 2006-2012, but left in January of his final season to take a medical leave of absence. He went 125-68 in his time with the Cougars, and was previously the head coach at Georgia Tech for 19 seasons.
The reason for the interest in Cremins, according to the report, is that Charleston wants to hire Anthony Johnson, an alum and a longtime NBA point guard, but they are worried about the fact that he has no coaching experience. Johnson would spend a season as an assistant on the Charleston staff, a de facto “coach in waiting”, before taking over for Cremins for the 2015-2016 season.
UConn did something similar a couple of years back when they hired Kevin Ollie as an assistant coach under Jim Calhoun. Ollie eventually took over for Calhoun when he retired. Fred Hoiberg was hired by Iowa State without any coaching experience as well. Both of those decisions have turned out to be quite successful.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)