Aug 22, 2014, 2:37 PM EST
With two of their top three scorers from last season, forward Ryan Anderson and guard Joe Rahon, having decided to transfer Boston College needed to find some offensive help for leading scorer Olivier Hanlan heading into the 2014-15 season. On Friday first-year head coach Jim Christian added an experienced piece to the program, with former Southern Miss guard Aaron Brown deciding to transfer to BC.
The news was first reported by Jon Rothstein of CBSSports.com, with other outlets confirming the news shortly thereafter.
In his lone season at Southern Miss, Brown averaged 9.9 points and 4.3 rebounds per game, shooting nearly 43 percent from the field and 39 percent from beyond the arc. And as a graduate transfer, Brown will be eligible to play at Boston College immediately and that’s undoubtedly good news for the Eagles.
Last season Boston College struggled on both ends of the floor, ranking in the bottom half of the ACC in both field goal percentage (9th) and field goal percentage defense (9th), and they finished with an 8-24 overall record (4-14 ACC). However one of the four ACC wins came at Syracuse, with the Eagles beating the then-undefeated Orange 62-59 in overtime.
In addition to Hanlan, who scored 18.5 points per game last season, Boston College’s leading returning scorers are guard Lonnie Jackson (7.0 ppg) and forward Patrick Heckmann (6.0 ppg). Christian and his staff were able to reel in a big man this spring, with former Cal commit Idrissa Diallo deciding to join the program following the retirement of former Cal head coach Mike Montgomery.
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 3
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 1
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 2
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)