Aug 22, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
With two of their top three scorers from last season, forward Ryan Anderson and guard Joe Rahon, having decided to transfer Boston College needed to find some offensive help for leading scorer Olivier Hanlan heading into the 2014-15 season. On Friday first-year head coach Jim Christian added an experienced piece to the program, with former Southern Miss guard Aaron Brown deciding to transfer to BC.
The news was first reported by Jon Rothstein of CBSSports.com, with other outlets confirming the news shortly thereafter.
In his lone season at Southern Miss, Brown averaged 9.9 points and 4.3 rebounds per game, shooting nearly 43 percent from the field and 39 percent from beyond the arc. And as a graduate transfer, Brown will be eligible to play at Boston College immediately and that’s undoubtedly good news for the Eagles.
Last season Boston College struggled on both ends of the floor, ranking in the bottom half of the ACC in both field goal percentage (9th) and field goal percentage defense (9th), and they finished with an 8-24 overall record (4-14 ACC). However one of the four ACC wins came at Syracuse, with the Eagles beating the then-undefeated Orange 62-59 in overtime.
In addition to Hanlan, who scored 18.5 points per game last season, Boston College’s leading returning scorers are guard Lonnie Jackson (7.0 ppg) and forward Patrick Heckmann (6.0 ppg). Christian and his staff were able to reel in a big man this spring, with former Cal commit Idrissa Diallo deciding to join the program following the retirement of former Cal head coach Mike Montgomery.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)