Aug 22, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
With two of their top three scorers from last season, forward Ryan Anderson and guard Joe Rahon, having decided to transfer Boston College needed to find some offensive help for leading scorer Olivier Hanlan heading into the 2014-15 season. On Friday first-year head coach Jim Christian added an experienced piece to the program, with former Southern Miss guard Aaron Brown deciding to transfer to BC.
The news was first reported by Jon Rothstein of CBSSports.com, with other outlets confirming the news shortly thereafter.
In his lone season at Southern Miss, Brown averaged 9.9 points and 4.3 rebounds per game, shooting nearly 43 percent from the field and 39 percent from beyond the arc. And as a graduate transfer, Brown will be eligible to play at Boston College immediately and that’s undoubtedly good news for the Eagles.
Last season Boston College struggled on both ends of the floor, ranking in the bottom half of the ACC in both field goal percentage (9th) and field goal percentage defense (9th), and they finished with an 8-24 overall record (4-14 ACC). However one of the four ACC wins came at Syracuse, with the Eagles beating the then-undefeated Orange 62-59 in overtime.
In addition to Hanlan, who scored 18.5 points per game last season, Boston College’s leading returning scorers are guard Lonnie Jackson (7.0 ppg) and forward Patrick Heckmann (6.0 ppg). Christian and his staff were able to reel in a big man this spring, with former Cal commit Idrissa Diallo deciding to join the program following the retirement of former Cal head coach Mike Montgomery.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)