Aug 22, 2014, 12:07 PM EDT
With four-start point guard Alex Robinson and Avery Johnson Jr. both in their 2014 incoming class, Texas A&M landed another product of the Texas Titans grassroots program Friday morning. According to Evan Daniels of Scout.com, four-star center Tyler Davis has verbally committed to Texas A&M with Davis verifying the report shortly thereafter. Davis had originally scheduled official visits to Baylor and Kansas, but those won’t be happening now that he’s committed to Texas A&M.
Davis is a 6-foot-10, 270-pound big man who’s proven to be a tough matchup for opponents in the paint, and he’s a very important recruit for Texas A&M head coach Billy Kennedy. Davis is Texas A&M’s first commitment in the Class of 2015, with one-time commitment Chris Harris having reopened his recruitment back in late April.
Currently front court depth is an issue for Texas A&M heading into the 2014-15 season, and with Kourtney Roberson entering his senior campaign adding talented bodies is of high importance for Kennedy and his staff. Davis was forced to sit out the 2013-14 season due to his being ruled ineligible by University Interscholastic Committee (Texas high school sports’ governing body) after transferring to Plano West from Frisco Liberty HS.
But Davis, who was recovering from off-season knee surgery at the time of the ruling, made up for lost time on the grassroots circuit with the Texas Titans. In Nike EYBL play Davis posted averages of 14.8 points and 7.7 rebounds per game, helping lead the Titans to the quarterfinals of the EYBL Finals at the Nike Peach Jam.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 1
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- Syracuse makes it official that Mike Hopkins will take over in 2018 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- Five-star guard to announce college choice Wednesday evening (5)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)