Aug 23, 2014, 6:29 PM EST
Illinois head coach John Groce was at Wrigley Field on Saturday, where he threw out the first pitch before the Chicago Cubs’ game against the Baltimore Orioles. Accompanied by his two sons, Groce’s effort was solid if not spectacular especially when considering past efforts of celebrities and other sports figures who’ve been asked to complete the same task.
Illinois enters the 2014-15 season looking to make a return to the NCAA tournament after falling short of their goal last year. Tracy Abrams, Rayvonte Rice and Nnanna Egwu return to lead the way for the Fighting Illini, and their five rising sophomores (led by Kendrick Nunn, Malcolm Hill and Jaylon Tate) will look to step forward as well.
Illinois also adds two transfer guards in Aaron Cosby and Ahmad Starks, and four-star forward Leron Black is also expected to contribute as a freshman.
Video credit: CSN Chicago
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 1
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)