Aug 23, 2014, 6:29 PM EDT
Illinois head coach John Groce was at Wrigley Field on Saturday, where he threw out the first pitch before the Chicago Cubs’ game against the Baltimore Orioles. Accompanied by his two sons, Groce’s effort was solid if not spectacular especially when considering past efforts of celebrities and other sports figures who’ve been asked to complete the same task.
Illinois enters the 2014-15 season looking to make a return to the NCAA tournament after falling short of their goal last year. Tracy Abrams, Rayvonte Rice and Nnanna Egwu return to lead the way for the Fighting Illini, and their five rising sophomores (led by Kendrick Nunn, Malcolm Hill and Jaylon Tate) will look to step forward as well.
Illinois also adds two transfer guards in Aaron Cosby and Ahmad Starks, and four-star forward Leron Black is also expected to contribute as a freshman.
Video credit: CSN Chicago
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)