Aug 24, 2014, 8:35 PM EST
In 2012, Abdul Razak Shanun immigrated to the United States from Ghana as an exchange student with hopes of receiving an education and earning a college scholarship. Having received interest from programs such as San Diego State and UMass, Shanun was approaching his senior year of high school with those goals within reach.
Shanun’s life came to a tragic end Saturday, as his drowned after his kayak capsized in Mission Bay just off the coast of San Diego according to the San Diego Union-Tribune. Shanun, whose body wasn’t found until Sunday morning according to the report, was just 17 years old.
Shanun had rented a red kayak Saturday and had paddled part-way across the bay when the watercraft capsized about 3 p.m., Swanson said. Witnesses saw him cling to a life preserver for a short time, then he lost his grip on it and sank into the water off Santa Clara Point Recreation Center. He didn’t know how to swim, a fire official said.
Shanun was supposed to attend Balboa City School in San Diego this school year. Upon arriving in the United States Shanun played at both Redemption Christian Academy (Troy, New York) and the Atlanta Sports Academy, and this past spring he played for the New York Lightning grassroots program.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)