Aug 24, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
At midnight last night, Bruce Pearl became a free man. The Auburn head coach’s NCAA show-cause penalty is finally over and Pearl can be around his team, call recruits and their coaches and parents and go about the normal life of a SEC men’s head basketball coach.
Before midnight last night, Pearl was greeted by approximately 50 students outside of Auburn Arena, according to James Crepea of The Montgomery Advertiser.
Pearl took a photo with those students before joining his team and his assistant coaches, who were in the office ready to go to work on recruiting. According to CBSSports.com‘s Gary Parrish, Pearl’s first conversation with a recruit was going to be with 2015 recruit and 6-foot-8 forward Horace Spencer. In an enthusiastic celebration, Pearl and his team jumped around while Pearl yelled, “free at last!”
Pearl and Auburn plan on hosting an elite camp on Sunday to make up for lost time recruiting and evaluating potential prospects. Auburn’s staff has already helped the Tigers land four-star wing forward Danjel Purifoy late this week and they have to be hoping to ride a wave of momentum now that the charismatic Pearl is free to recruit on his own once again.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)