Aug 24, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
At midnight last night, Bruce Pearl became a free man. The Auburn head coach’s NCAA show-cause penalty is finally over and Pearl can be around his team, call recruits and their coaches and parents and go about the normal life of a SEC men’s head basketball coach.
Before midnight last night, Pearl was greeted by approximately 50 students outside of Auburn Arena, according to James Crepea of The Montgomery Advertiser.
Pearl took a photo with those students before joining his team and his assistant coaches, who were in the office ready to go to work on recruiting. According to CBSSports.com‘s Gary Parrish, Pearl’s first conversation with a recruit was going to be with 2015 recruit and 6-foot-8 forward Horace Spencer. In an enthusiastic celebration, Pearl and his team jumped around while Pearl yelled, “free at last!”
Pearl and Auburn plan on hosting an elite camp on Sunday to make up for lost time recruiting and evaluating potential prospects. Auburn’s staff has already helped the Tigers land four-star wing forward Danjel Purifoy late this week and they have to be hoping to ride a wave of momentum now that the charismatic Pearl is free to recruit on his own once again.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)