Aug 24, 2014, 1:31 PM EST
In the first day he was allowed to recruit following a three-year NCAA show-cause, Bruce Pearl made quick work on the recruiting trail on Sunday as the new Tigers head coach landed four-star forward Horace Spencer. The news of Spencer’s commitment was first reported by Adam Zagoria of Zags Blog.
Pearl met with Spencer at 12:01 a.m. on Sunday morning, right as the Auburn coach’s penalty that forced him to not call recruits, coaches or parents was lifted. Spencer was on an official visit to Auburn and a lot of credit is certainly due to Auburn’s assistant coaches, who helped Pearl recruit when he couldn’t make contact with players.
The 6-foot-8 Spencer attends basketball powerhouse Findlay Prep and is a major grab for Auburn. The No. 73 prospect in the 2015 class, according to Rivals, is a good athlete with a high-running motor who should fit in well with Pearl’s system.
The commitment of Spencer gives Auburn two four-star commitments on the week as four-star wing forward Danjel Purifoy committed on Friday.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)