Aug 24, 2014, 7:16 PM EDT
Over the weekend there was the possibility of Maryland making an addition to its 2014 recruiting class, with three-star point guard John Crosby making a visit to the College Park campus. However Crosby’s visit didn’t lead to a change in his plans, as it was reported Sunday via Twitter by Don Markus of the Baltimore Sun that the Baltimore Poly product will attend New Hampton Prep this school year.
Maryland already has a high-level point guard in freshman Romelo Trimble, but a change of heart from Crosby would have given head coach Mark Turgeon some additional depth at the position. As it currently stands Trimble will be asked to shoulder the load, something that was expected to be the case when he committed to the Big Ten school, with senior Dez Wells being the likely option to run the point when Trimble needs a rest.
Wells did pick up some experience at the point guard position last season with Seth Allen sidelined with a broken foot and then-freshman Roddy Peters still getting acclimated to the college game at that time (both Allen and Peters have since transferred). Wells finished the season averaging 2.2 assists per game (second on the team) to go along with his team-best 14.9 ppg. And in the 12 games the Terrapins played without Allen, Wells accounted for 25 assists and 31 turnovers.
Provided Trimble’s capable of taking the reins (and the early expectation is that he’ll be able to) Maryland will be in a better spot at the point in 2014-15 than they were last season. Adding Crosby to the fold would have given Maryland another primary ball-handler, providing depth at a position that could have used the boost.
Among Crosby’s other offers picked up were Rutgers and George Mason.
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 1
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft (3)