Aug 24, 2014, 7:16 PM EDT
Over the weekend there was the possibility of Maryland making an addition to its 2014 recruiting class, with three-star point guard John Crosby making a visit to the College Park campus. However Crosby’s visit didn’t lead to a change in his plans, as it was reported Sunday via Twitter by Don Markus of the Baltimore Sun that the Baltimore Poly product will attend New Hampton Prep this school year.
Maryland already has a high-level point guard in freshman Romelo Trimble, but a change of heart from Crosby would have given head coach Mark Turgeon some additional depth at the position. As it currently stands Trimble will be asked to shoulder the load, something that was expected to be the case when he committed to the Big Ten school, with senior Dez Wells being the likely option to run the point when Trimble needs a rest.
Wells did pick up some experience at the point guard position last season with Seth Allen sidelined with a broken foot and then-freshman Roddy Peters still getting acclimated to the college game at that time (both Allen and Peters have since transferred). Wells finished the season averaging 2.2 assists per game (second on the team) to go along with his team-best 14.9 ppg. And in the 12 games the Terrapins played without Allen, Wells accounted for 25 assists and 31 turnovers.
Provided Trimble’s capable of taking the reins (and the early expectation is that he’ll be able to) Maryland will be in a better spot at the point in 2014-15 than they were last season. Adding Crosby to the fold would have given Maryland another primary ball-handler, providing depth at a position that could have used the boost.
Among Crosby’s other offers picked up were Rutgers and George Mason.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2010? 0
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)
- Austin Nichols looking to transfer from Memphis (2)
- Star Kansas freshman Carlton Bragg injured on trip to South Korea (1)