Aug 25, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT
Blue Ribbon is one of the best preseason preview books out there for college hoop heads, and on Monday afternoon, they released a picture of the cover of the 2014-2015 edition.
On the cover? Blue Ribbon’s Preseason First-Team All-Americans:
- Fred Van Vleet (Wichita State)
- Marcus Paige (North Carolina)
- Malcolm Brogdon (Virginia)
- Montrezl Harrell (Louisville)
- Frank Kaminsky (Wisconsin)
The Brogdon pick is a bit outside the box, but he was one of the most underrated players in the country last season, a 6-foot-4 redshirt junior that can play any position on the perimeter and made first team All-ACC last year. He may not show up on a lot of the Preseason All-America teams that you’ll see pop up over the course of the next two months, but there’s a very strong argument for putting him on there.
The rest of the picks will be relatively popular. Paige is going to be a popular pick for Preseason Player of the Year, Van Vleet and Kaminsky exploded onto the scene last season, and Harrell is probably the most talented player that bypassed on the 2014 NBA Draft.
But, as Gary Parrish pointed out last month, picking a Preseason All-American team this year will be anything but easy. Look at the names that didn’t make that listing:
- Chasson Randle (Stanford)
- Tyus Jones (Duke)
- Juwan Staten (West Virginia)
- Ron Baker (Wichita State)
- Marcus Foster (Kansas State)
- Buddy Hield (Oklahoma)
- Delon Wright (Utah)
- Caris LeVert (Michigan)
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson (Arizona)
- Sam Dekker (Wisconsin)
- Stanley Johnson (Arizona)
- Georges Niang (Iowa State)
- Perry Ellis (Kansas)
- Karl Towns (Kentucky)
- Cliff Alexander (Kansas)
Those are 15 players that I just listed.
All 15 could legitimately be First Team All-Americans this preseason and no one would put up much of an argument.
This year’s group will be anything but a consensus.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 6 Virginia Cavaliers 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 0
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)