Aug 25, 2014, 6:00 PM EST
Georgetown is about to break ground on a new four-story, 144,000-square foot facility that will cost $62 million dollars and according to the Washington Post former Georgetown center Patrick Ewing and agent David Falk will donate $3.3 million towards the project.
The John Thompson Jr. Intercollegiate Athletics Center is being built entirely on contributions and will include practice courts and men’s and women’s basketball offices and other meeting facilities. Georgetown breaks ground on the project on September 12th.
Having big-name basketball people in your past certainly helps in this sort of thing and Georgetown’s new practice facility should be a great recruiting tool for the entire athletics department. It also shows the continued influence and power of former Georgetown head coach John Thompson. Not only is the facility being named after him, but Ewing is donating money and Falk is both of their long-time agents.
Ewing wore No. 33 at Georgetown and in the NBA, which is why he is donating $3.3 million for the project. Ewing led Georgetown to the NCAA championship in 1984 and was the No. 1 pick in the NBA Draft the following year.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)