Aug 25, 2014, 11:10 PM EST
UTEP looked to add some talented freshmen this season and it looks like two of those players won’t be joining the team. According to CBSSports.com‘s Jeff Borzello, 6-foot-4 lefty scorer Chris Sandifer and 5-foot-10 point guard Shaq Carr will both be going the junior college route this season.
Sandifer, in particular, is a tough loss for UTEP. After originally committing to Missouri, the No. 104 player in Rivals‘ 2014 rankings is likely heading to Chipola College in Florida. The California native was one of the better scorers on the west coast in the 2014 class and would have given the Miners another bit of punch.
A native of Las Vegas, Carr also did not qualify and is likely heading to the College of Southern Idaho, a school that also reportedly added well-traveled forward Ray Kasongo. Carr was considered a three-star prospect, according to Rivals.
UTEP still has commitments from guards Omega Harris, Lewis Stallworth, Trey Touchet, small forward Earvin Morris and power forward Terry Winn in the 2014 class.
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 0
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 5
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent (3)