Aug 25, 2014, 9:10 PM EDT
Fresh off of a national championship, UConn awarded a scholarship to walk-on forward Nnamdi Amilo on Monday, according to an official release from the school.
The 6-foot-3 Amilo played in two games last season and had two points and two rebounds. Amilo mostly contributed as a practice player last season and gives the Huskies 12 scholarship players.
“Nnamdi is a terrific young man who we’re proud to have as part of our family,” Ollie said in the release. “He’s a hard worker on the court, doing whatever we need him to do to make his teammates better, he’s an outstanding student in the classroom, and he’s a young man of the highest character. I’m very happy to be able to give him a scholarship.”
Amilo getting a scholarship is a nice move for UConn, who is short a few players after multiple players went pro last season. With the amount of quality guards UConn has with Ryan Boatright, Rodney Purvis and Sam Cassell Jr., they’re pretty set in the back court this season.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)