Aug 26, 2014, 5:15 PM EST
Dayton will have the services of fifth-year point guard Ryan Bass for the this upcoming season, as head coach Archie Miller announced on Tuesday that the Dayton, Ohio native had joined the program.
“We are very excited to announce the addition of Oakland University graduate, Ryan Bass to our team for this season,” Miller tweeted.
Bass left the team in October for what Oakland head coach Greg Kampe referred to as “reasons unrelated to his athletic participation or academic performance.” The 5-foot-9 Bass averaged 9.3 points, 2.5 rebounds and 2.7 assists as a junior in 2012-2013 for the Grizzlies.
The Flyers lost five of their first six conference games in the Atlantic 10. Three months later, Miller’s team was one-game shy of the Final Four. Dayton projects to be one of the favorites in the A-10 this season along with VCU, though, the Flyers will head into next year without Khari Price, the sophomore point guard who started all 37 games during the 2013-2014 season. Price decided to transfer in June.
Sophomore point guard Scoochie Smith, who averaged 3.6 points and 2.0 assists, was expecting to log major minutes as the Flyers this season.
Bass is part of an incoming class that includes three freshman and James Madison transfer, Charles Cooke, who will sit out this season.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)