Aug 26, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
Dayton will have the services of fifth-year point guard Ryan Bass for the this upcoming season, as head coach Archie Miller announced on Tuesday that the Dayton, Ohio native had joined the program.
“We are very excited to announce the addition of Oakland University graduate, Ryan Bass to our team for this season,” Miller tweeted.
Bass left the team in October for what Oakland head coach Greg Kampe referred to as “reasons unrelated to his athletic participation or academic performance.” The 5-foot-9 Bass averaged 9.3 points, 2.5 rebounds and 2.7 assists as a junior in 2012-2013 for the Grizzlies.
The Flyers lost five of their first six conference games in the Atlantic 10. Three months later, Miller’s team was one-game shy of the Final Four. Dayton projects to be one of the favorites in the A-10 this season along with VCU, though, the Flyers will head into next year without Khari Price, the sophomore point guard who started all 37 games during the 2013-2014 season. Price decided to transfer in June.
Sophomore point guard Scoochie Smith, who averaged 3.6 points and 2.0 assists, was expecting to log major minutes as the Flyers this season.
Bass is part of an incoming class that includes three freshman and James Madison transfer, Charles Cooke, who will sit out this season.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)