Aug 26, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
Dayton will have the services of fifth-year point guard Ryan Bass for the this upcoming season, as head coach Archie Miller announced on Tuesday that the Dayton, Ohio native had joined the program.
“We are very excited to announce the addition of Oakland University graduate, Ryan Bass to our team for this season,” Miller tweeted.
Bass left the team in October for what Oakland head coach Greg Kampe referred to as “reasons unrelated to his athletic participation or academic performance.” The 5-foot-9 Bass averaged 9.3 points, 2.5 rebounds and 2.7 assists as a junior in 2012-2013 for the Grizzlies.
The Flyers lost five of their first six conference games in the Atlantic 10. Three months later, Miller’s team was one-game shy of the Final Four. Dayton projects to be one of the favorites in the A-10 this season along with VCU, though, the Flyers will head into next year without Khari Price, the sophomore point guard who started all 37 games during the 2013-2014 season. Price decided to transfer in June.
Sophomore point guard Scoochie Smith, who averaged 3.6 points and 2.0 assists, was expecting to log major minutes as the Flyers this season.
Bass is part of an incoming class that includes three freshman and James Madison transfer, Charles Cooke, who will sit out this season.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)