Aug 26, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
The College of Charleston could be close to finding its new head coach, though, it may not put an end to the coaching carousel.
According to a report filed Wednesday from Andrew Miller of the Post and Courier, the eight-person search committee has given College of Charleston president Glenn McConnell two finalists: NBA veteran point guard and former CofC star Anthony Johnson and Wofford longtime head coach Mike Young.
From the Post and Courier:
Johnson, who has been a leading candidate for the vacancy since the search committee first met earlier this month, was confirmed as the other candidate by multiple sources within the Cougars’ athletic department on Monday.
“The recommendation from the search committee is on the president’s desk,” one source said. “It’s his decision.”
Johnson led the Cougars to an appearance in the 1997 NCAA Tournament, is the school’s all-time leader in assists and is a member of the CofC Athletic Hall of Fame. Despite his 13 seasons in the NBA, he has no coaching experience. Last week it was reported the school was looking into bringing back Bobby Cremins, who coached at Charleston from 2006-2012. Johnson would work on his staff as an assistant, a the “coach-in-waiting” for the 2015-2016 season. According to Miller, that is unlikely to happen.
Young has been at Wofford since 2002, leading the Terriers to three NCAA tournaments since 2011.
Doug Wojcik was fired on Aug. 5 for just cause after former players alleged he had verbally abused them.
The Cougars were 14-18 (6-10 CAA) in their first season in the Colonial Athletic Association.
- Led by senior forward Alan Williams, UCSB capable of earning first NCAA tournament bid since 2011 0
- Behind Thompson and Comer, Dunk City looks to take flight once again this March 1
- Stony Brook works toward NCAA appearance after DII transition 0
- Syracuse officials to meet NCAA Committee on Infractions later this month 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Texas A&M gets a tough guard, St. John’s big weekend, Xavier’s intriguing fit 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Key assistant coaching hires 0
- 2014-15 America East Preview: Does Stony Brook finally make the Tournament? 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- Has Maryland found a new starting center? (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Northeast Conference Preview: Is it time for Robert Morris to dance again? (1)