Aug 26, 2014, 9:45 PM EST
The College of Charleston could be close to finding its new head coach, though, it may not put an end to the coaching carousel.
According to a report filed Wednesday from Andrew Miller of the Post and Courier, the eight-person search committee has given College of Charleston president Glenn McConnell two finalists: NBA veteran point guard and former CofC star Anthony Johnson and Wofford longtime head coach Mike Young.
From the Post and Courier:
Johnson, who has been a leading candidate for the vacancy since the search committee first met earlier this month, was confirmed as the other candidate by multiple sources within the Cougars’ athletic department on Monday.
“The recommendation from the search committee is on the president’s desk,” one source said. “It’s his decision.”
Johnson led the Cougars to an appearance in the 1997 NCAA Tournament, is the school’s all-time leader in assists and is a member of the CofC Athletic Hall of Fame. Despite his 13 seasons in the NBA, he has no coaching experience. Last week it was reported the school was looking into bringing back Bobby Cremins, who coached at Charleston from 2006-2012. Johnson would work on his staff as an assistant, a the “coach-in-waiting” for the 2015-2016 season. According to Miller, that is unlikely to happen.
Young has been at Wofford since 2002, leading the Terriers to three NCAA tournaments since 2011.
Doug Wojcik was fired on Aug. 5 for just cause after former players alleged he had verbally abused them.
The Cougars were 14-18 (6-10 CAA) in their first season in the Colonial Athletic Association.
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Film Session: Who can actually beat Kentucky and why 0
- Potential NCAA tournament bid thieves bubble teams should be rooting against 2
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 2
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 2
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives (8)