Aug 26, 2014, 9:45 PM EST
The College of Charleston could be close to finding its new head coach, though, it may not put an end to the coaching carousel.
According to a report filed Wednesday from Andrew Miller of the Post and Courier, the eight-person search committee has given College of Charleston president Glenn McConnell two finalists: NBA veteran point guard and former CofC star Anthony Johnson and Wofford longtime head coach Mike Young.
From the Post and Courier:
Johnson, who has been a leading candidate for the vacancy since the search committee first met earlier this month, was confirmed as the other candidate by multiple sources within the Cougars’ athletic department on Monday.
“The recommendation from the search committee is on the president’s desk,” one source said. “It’s his decision.”
Johnson led the Cougars to an appearance in the 1997 NCAA Tournament, is the school’s all-time leader in assists and is a member of the CofC Athletic Hall of Fame. Despite his 13 seasons in the NBA, he has no coaching experience. Last week it was reported the school was looking into bringing back Bobby Cremins, who coached at Charleston from 2006-2012. Johnson would work on his staff as an assistant, a the “coach-in-waiting” for the 2015-2016 season. According to Miller, that is unlikely to happen.
Young has been at Wofford since 2002, leading the Terriers to three NCAA tournaments since 2011.
Doug Wojcik was fired on Aug. 5 for just cause after former players alleged he had verbally abused them.
The Cougars were 14-18 (6-10 CAA) in their first season in the Colonial Athletic Association.
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)