Aug 26, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
After being dismissed from the Missouri basketball program this spring, Zach Price has transferred to Winthrop, the school announced on Tuesday afternoon. The 6-foot-10 center began his collegiate career at Louisville, playing two seasons for the Cardinals before transferring to Missouri in 2013.
Price was sitting out the 2013-2014 season due to NCAA transfer rules. On April 3, Price was arrested twice in one day, stemming from an incident with teammate and roommate Earnest Ross and Ross’ girlfriend. A week later, then-Mizzou head coach Frank Haith dismissed him from the team.
“We put the ultimate emphasis on the evaluation of one’s character when considering who to bring into our program,” Winthrop head coach Pat Kelsey said in a statement. “We found the incident involving Zach to be isolated and the content of his character to be very solid. Our due diligence was extensive and we found him worthy of a second chance. I expect Zach to make us very proud through the impact he will have on our campus and community.”
“I would like to thank Winthrop University for this opportunity,” Price added .”I accept responsibility for my mistakes, have learned from them and have grown as a person. I will work hard in the classroom, in the community and on the court to represent Winthrop in a first-class manner. I am truly grateful for this second chance and I am excited to be an Eagle.”
Price was a four-star recruit in the Class of 2011, rated as the No. 67 overall prospect by Rivals. He committed to Louisville, where he played two seasons, averaging 5.9 minutes per game during his stint with the Cardinals. He averaged 1.4 points and 1.3 boards per game for Louisville in 2012-2013.
Price is seeking a waiver to play this season at Winthrop.
The Eagles finished 20-13 (10-6 Big South) last season, one win shy of an appearance in the NCAA tournament.
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 2
- California guard Tyrone Wallace to return for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (17)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)