Aug 27, 2014, 6:11 PM EST
Despite the fact that some folks looked at the 2013-14 season as one of transition for the San Diego State Aztecs, Steve Fisher’s team won 31 games (and the Mountain West regular season title) and reached the Sweet 16. The reason why it was seen as a year of transition was the pending arrival of a very good recruiting class, which included four-star forward Zylan Cheatham.
Unfortunately for Cheatham he won’t be on the court when the season begins, as it was reported by the San Diego Union-Tribune that the 6-foot-8 freshman broke a bone in his left foot. How long will Cheatham be sidelined? Taking into consideration the rehabilitation process, and the fact that he won’t be able to put any weight on the foot for 6-8 weeks, Cheatham is expected to miss anywhere from three to four months of action.
“I was told the worst thing you can do is not do the surgery,” Fisher said. “So we’re going to do the surgery, put a screw in and the screw will stay in. The second worst thing is to try to come back too quickly. So we’ll just see.”
Unfortunately for San Diego State, Cheatham isn’t the only freshman dealing with health issues. According to the report forward Malik Pope hasn’t done anything more than shoot by himself due to the rehabbing of a leg he fractured twice while in high school. Joining those two in San Diego State’s 2014 recruiting haul are guards Kevin Zabo and Trey Kell.
The Aztecs, who will have to account for the loss of guard Xavier Thames and forward Josh Davis, do return some key pieces from last season’s 31-5 team. Winston Shepard III, Dwayne Polee Jr., J.J. O’Brien and Skylar Spencer lead the way, and it should also be noted that Arizona transfer Angelo Chol will be eligible to give the Aztecs even more depth in the front court.
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 11
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Syracuse upsets No. 8 Notre Dame in an inspired ACC road effort 0
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)