Aug 27, 2014, 5:09 PM EST
With the changes in the NCAA’s governing structure that will provide the Power 5 programs with autonomy, one of the biggest concerns for fans of programs outside of ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, Pac-12 and SEC is that they will be left in the dust, that they’re going to be an afterthought as players migrate towards the schools that have bigger budgets and high profile football.
I’ve already tried to quell the fears of those fans, but if my word wasn’t strong enough, maybe Georgetown head coach John Thompson III’s will be.
“I’m here to say that wherever they float off to as it relates to men’s basketball, we’re floating too,” Thompson told CSNWashington.com. “Whatever changes come down the pike, we care just as much about the student-athlete’s overall experience as they do. Whatever changes come up, no matter what they are, we will follow as it relates to men’s basketball.”
“Whatever they do, we will do. One hundred percent across the board.”
And they can.
One of the stipulations of Power 5 autonomy is that any program outside of the five biggest conferences can adopt all the rule changes. They aren’t excluded from paying stipends or flying family members to tournament games if the bigger schools want to do it. The only thing they are excluded from is the decision-making process itself.
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 0
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 1
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 13
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (5)
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? (3)