Aug 27, 2014, 9:26 AM EDT
Mike Rhoades spent five years as an assistant coach at VCU, the last three as the associate head coach on Shaka Smart’s staff.
And if there is anything that VCU has been known for since their run to the 2011 Final Four, it’s that they are going to be the hardest-working and best-conditioned team on the floor night in and night out. That’s what has to happen when you are a team that relies on full-court pressure and forcing turnovers to win games.
Rhoades, a former Division III All-American, is in good enough shape that he would practice with the VCU team upon occasion. He even had two front teeth knocked out by an errant elbow two years ago.
So with all that in mind, it shouldn’t surprise you that Rice, where Rhoades was hired as head coach back in March, put together some impressively difficult offseason training.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 6 Virginia Cavaliers 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 1
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)