Aug 28, 2014, 9:03 PM EST
Having already landed commitments from forwards Ryan Fazekas and Alex Owens, Providence head coach Ed Cooley added to his backcourt on Thursday. 6-foot-3 guard Drew Edwards, who has shown the ability to play both guard positions at Calvert Hall HS in Baltimore, verbally pledged to attend Providence in 2015.
The news was first reported by Edgar Walker of DMVelite.com via Twitter.
Last season Edwards averaged 14.4 points, 5.9 rebounds and 3.0 assists per game on a team that finished the season with a 28-6 record and reached the title game of the Baltimore Catholic League playoffs. Among the other schools considered by Edwards were Dayton, Kansas State, Richmond and Clemson.
In a story written by Matt Bracken of the Baltimore Sun, Edwards mentioned his relationship with Cooley and the fact that Cooley doesn’t seem to be going anywhere anytime soon as reasons why he chose Providence.
“Coach Cooley just signed a new contract. He’s not going anywhere anytime soon,” Edwards told Bracken. “He’s been at Providence and turned the program around. … His heart and soul is at Providence. He grew up right around Providence. That’s the spot for him.”
Providence may not have a senior in its backcourt heading into the 2014-15 season, but this is a program that needed additional depth in that area. Kris Dunn, who’s struggled with injuries in his first two seasons as a Friar, will be a junior this season with Cleveland State transfer Junior Lomomba (sophomore) and freshman Kyron Cartwright both being underclassmen.
Providence has just two seniors on this season’s roster, forward LaDontae Henton and center Carson Desrosiers.
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 1
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 0
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (24)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)