Aug 28, 2014, 9:03 PM EDT
Having already landed commitments from forwards Ryan Fazekas and Alex Owens, Providence head coach Ed Cooley added to his backcourt on Thursday. 6-foot-3 guard Drew Edwards, who has shown the ability to play both guard positions at Calvert Hall HS in Baltimore, verbally pledged to attend Providence in 2015.
The news was first reported by Edgar Walker of DMVelite.com via Twitter.
Last season Edwards averaged 14.4 points, 5.9 rebounds and 3.0 assists per game on a team that finished the season with a 28-6 record and reached the title game of the Baltimore Catholic League playoffs. Among the other schools considered by Edwards were Dayton, Kansas State, Richmond and Clemson.
In a story written by Matt Bracken of the Baltimore Sun, Edwards mentioned his relationship with Cooley and the fact that Cooley doesn’t seem to be going anywhere anytime soon as reasons why he chose Providence.
“Coach Cooley just signed a new contract. He’s not going anywhere anytime soon,” Edwards told Bracken. “He’s been at Providence and turned the program around. … His heart and soul is at Providence. He grew up right around Providence. That’s the spot for him.”
Providence may not have a senior in its backcourt heading into the 2014-15 season, but this is a program that needed additional depth in that area. Kris Dunn, who’s struggled with injuries in his first two seasons as a Friar, will be a junior this season with Cleveland State transfer Junior Lomomba (sophomore) and freshman Kyron Cartwright both being underclassmen.
Providence has just two seniors on this season’s roster, forward LaDontae Henton and center Carson Desrosiers.
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 0
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 1
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 2
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 0
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility 3
- In-state power forward verbally commits to UConn 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility (3)
- Villanova lands commitment from five-star point guard Jalen Brunson (2)