Aug 28, 2014, 9:03 PM EDT
Having already landed commitments from forwards Ryan Fazekas and Alex Owens, Providence head coach Ed Cooley added to his backcourt on Thursday. 6-foot-3 guard Drew Edwards, who has shown the ability to play both guard positions at Calvert Hall HS in Baltimore, verbally pledged to attend Providence in 2015.
The news was first reported by Edgar Walker of DMVelite.com via Twitter.
Last season Edwards averaged 14.4 points, 5.9 rebounds and 3.0 assists per game on a team that finished the season with a 28-6 record and reached the title game of the Baltimore Catholic League playoffs. Among the other schools considered by Edwards were Dayton, Kansas State, Richmond and Clemson.
In a story written by Matt Bracken of the Baltimore Sun, Edwards mentioned his relationship with Cooley and the fact that Cooley doesn’t seem to be going anywhere anytime soon as reasons why he chose Providence.
“Coach Cooley just signed a new contract. He’s not going anywhere anytime soon,” Edwards told Bracken. “He’s been at Providence and turned the program around. … His heart and soul is at Providence. He grew up right around Providence. That’s the spot for him.”
Providence may not have a senior in its backcourt heading into the 2014-15 season, but this is a program that needed additional depth in that area. Kris Dunn, who’s struggled with injuries in his first two seasons as a Friar, will be a junior this season with Cleveland State transfer Junior Lomomba (sophomore) and freshman Kyron Cartwright both being underclassmen.
Providence has just two seniors on this season’s roster, forward LaDontae Henton and center Carson Desrosiers.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)