Aug 28, 2014, 3:43 PM EDT
The coach of one of the best AAU programs in Ohio is headed to prison for more than 15 years.
Glen Galemmo, who has been a coach within the Cincinnati Knights and King James Shooting Stars organizations, was arrested and charged with running a Ponzi scheme last July. He was convicted earlier this month of defrauding some 140 investors out of as much as $34 million.
On Thursday, he was sentenced.
Galemmo has been the coach of a group of kids that have played on the same team for years, first as Knights and then under the King James umbrella. Luke Kennard, the No. 24 prospect in the Class of 2015 and a Duke commit, is the most well-known member of that team, but A.J. Harris (Ohio State), Nate Fowler (Butler) and Kyle Ahrens (Michigan State) are big-name prospects that were on that roster as well.
Back in May, Curtis Malone, who ran the D.C. Assault AAU program, one of the biggest and best in the country, was sentenced to more than eight years in prison after he was arrested and charged with a myriad offenses surrounding his side business as a drug trafficker.
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 43
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (43)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)