Aug 28, 2014, 6:10 PM EST
With two of their top three leading rebounders in Paul Egwuonwu and Flavien Davis having moved on, it was expected that Montana State would get some help from 6-foot-10 forward/center Kavell Bigby-Williams in 2014-15. Bigby-Williams played for England’s U20 team this summer, averaging 8.9 points and 7.3 rebounds per game in the U20 Division A European Championships.
Unfortunately for new Montana State head coach Brian Fish he won’t have Bigby-Williams at his disposal, as the program announced Thursday that the big man has failed to meet NCAA eligibility requirements.
“Kavell Bigby-Williams, a 6-10 forward-center signed by the Montana State men’s basketball program last November, failed to meet NCAA eligibility requirements,” the school said according to Gidal Kaiser of the Bozeman Daily Chronicle. “He will not enroll at the school this semester.”
Senior forward Eric Norman, who grabbed 4.4 rebounds per game in 2013-14, is Montana State’s leading returning rebounder with junior Danny Robison looking to earn more playing time after playing just over ten minutes per contest last season. Of Montana State’s five newcomers three are front court players, with junior college transfer Terrell Brown (more of a small forward) and freshmen Quinn Price and Bradley Fisher looking to crack the rotation in their first season with the program.
Montana State finished the 2013-14 season with a 14-17 overall record, going 9-11 in Big Sky play and missing out on the league’s postseason tournament.
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)