Aug 28, 2014, 8:13 PM EDT
6-foot-8 forward Esa Ahmad, ranked 69th amongst Class of 2015 players by Rivals, cut his list to five schools on Thursday according to Jeff Erman of InsideMDSports.com. Ahmad, who hails from Cleveland, Ohio, is now considering Maryland, Ohio State, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Oregon. Ahmad played for the All-Ohio Red program this spring and summer, averaging 13.3 points and 7.3 rebounds per game in Nike EYBL play.
As a junior at Shaker Heights HS, Ahmad was one of the best players in the state of Ohio. On a team that finished the 2013-14 season with an 18-5 record, Ahmad averaged 26.5 points, 11.5 rebounds and 3.5 assists per game.
The announcement of Ahmad’s trimming his list to five schools comes just before his official visit to Maryland, and according to the report he’s expected to visit West Virginia on September 20. Of the five schools left on Ahmad’s list Ohio State has the highest number of verbal commitments in the 2015 class, as they currently hold three (guards A.J. Harris and Austin Grandstaff, and center Daniel Giddens).
Following the Buckeyes in that category is West Virginia, which has two commitments (guard James Bolden and center Levi Cook) with Oregon (guard Kendall Small) and Wisconsin (guard Brevin Pritzl) holding one verbal commitment apiece. Maryland, which has a talented group of freshmen on campus now, have yet to land a commitment in the Class of 2015.
- Oklahoma State lands commitment from elite point guard in 2015 0
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Frank Haith lands first commitment as head coach at Tulsa (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)