Aug 28, 2014, 4:49 PM EST
Earlier this summer 7-foot-1 center Trayvon Reed joined the Maryland program as part of a talented freshman class expected to help the Terrapins end their NCAA tournament drought. However Reed wasn’t in College Park long, as an arrest on charges including shoplifting and resisting arrest led to Mark Turgeon deciding that the program would be better off without the center.
Thursday afternoon it was reported by Jon Rothstein of CBSSports.com that Reed, a native of Montgomery, Alabama, has found a new school. Reed will be an Auburn Tiger, becoming the latest talented prospect to commit to Bruce Pearl’s program. However Reed won’t be on campus immediately, as according to multiply outlets he’ll be attending Elev-8 Prep in Florida in order to shore up his academics and become eligible in December.
Not being able to join the Auburn program immediately isn’t optimal, but it was possible that Reed wouldn’t have been able to take the floor immediately for health reasons. In mid-June Reed suffered a fractured right ankle, and at the time the injury was expected to sideline him anywhere from eight to twelve weeks.
If Reed can take care of business academically he’d give the Tigers added front court depth just ahead of the start of SEC play. Bruce Pearl’s staff did a good job of adding pieces to the program while the head coach was serving the remainder of his three-year show cause penalty. Among the additions were junior college power forward Cinmeon Bowers and 6-foot-10 freshman power forward Jack Purchase, and they join four holdovers who weren’t all that productive in 2013-14.
As for what Auburn could be in 2015-16, the Tigers won’t lack for depth or talent with Bowers and Reed back, Marshall transfer guard Kareem Canty eligible and a 2015 recruiting class that’s already off to a good start. Last weekend Auburn reeled in junior college guard T.J. Dunans and forwards Danjel Purifoy and Horace Spencer, with the latter making his decision after attending the program’s elite camp on Sunday (Pearl’s penalty expired at 12:01 a.m. Sunday morning).
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 1
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)