Aug 29, 2014, 7:30 PM EST
On Friday afternoon the Indiana High School Athletic Association (ISHAA) upheld a July ruling, which will keep top-40 guard Eron Gordon on the sidelines for his junior season.
Gordon, the brother of New Orleans Pelicans guard Eric Gordon, was ruled ineligible on July 18 after he transferred from North Central High to Cathedral High. The move was believed to be athletically driven. According to the Indianapolis Star, Gordon needs to sit out for a full year from his last game at North Central.
His family claimed the transfer was for academic reasons.
The IHSAA review committee heard testimony from both sides early last week and issued its ruling this afternoon.
The Gordons have 30 days to submit an appeal to the Department of Education’s case review panel, which would issue its ruling based off the transcript of testimony given to the IHSAA’s review committee.
The 6-foot-2 Gordon is a four-star recruit, listed as the No. 38 overall junior by Rivals. He has scholarship offers from Indiana, Purdue, Nebraska and Arizona State. He told NBCSports.com earlier this month that he’s already taken unofficial visits to Duke and Michigan. Gordon was also planning a visit to Kentucky.
If the decision is not overturn, Neddenriep noted the case could end up in trial court.
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 3
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 1
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 2
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)