Aug 29, 2014, 6:00 PM EST
EJ Floreal, who was a walk-on last season as Kentucky, has reportedly received a scholarship for this season, according to Kentucky Sports Radio.
The 6-foot-4 sophomore guard had drawn interest from several low-major Division I schools out in California when he was playing for Palo Alto High. Last June, he decided to enroll at UK where his father, Edrick Floreal, is the track and field head coach. Edrick Floreal was hired in 2012. EJ Floreal ended up transferring to Dunbar High in Lexington for his final year of high school.
While he only appeared in three games as a freshman, Floreal managed to throw down a memorable dunk over teammate and future lottery pick Julius Randle in the Blue vs. White scrimmage at Big Blue Madness.
This summer, Floreal appeared in four of the six games in the Big Blue Bahamas Tour.
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 3
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)