Aug 29, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
EJ Floreal, who was a walk-on last season as Kentucky, has reportedly received a scholarship for this season, according to Kentucky Sports Radio.
The 6-foot-4 sophomore guard had drawn interest from several low-major Division I schools out in California when he was playing for Palo Alto High. Last June, he decided to enroll at UK where his father, Edrick Floreal, is the track and field head coach. Edrick Floreal was hired in 2012. EJ Floreal ended up transferring to Dunbar High in Lexington for his final year of high school.
While he only appeared in three games as a freshman, Floreal managed to throw down a memorable dunk over teammate and future lottery pick Julius Randle in the Blue vs. White scrimmage at Big Blue Madness.
This summer, Floreal appeared in four of the six games in the Big Blue Bahamas Tour.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)