Aug 29, 2014, 6:00 PM EST
EJ Floreal, who was a walk-on last season as Kentucky, has reportedly received a scholarship for this season, according to Kentucky Sports Radio.
The 6-foot-4 sophomore guard had drawn interest from several low-major Division I schools out in California when he was playing for Palo Alto High. Last June, he decided to enroll at UK where his father, Edrick Floreal, is the track and field head coach. Edrick Floreal was hired in 2012. EJ Floreal ended up transferring to Dunbar High in Lexington for his final year of high school.
While he only appeared in three games as a freshman, Floreal managed to throw down a memorable dunk over teammate and future lottery pick Julius Randle in the Blue vs. White scrimmage at Big Blue Madness.
This summer, Floreal appeared in four of the six games in the Big Blue Bahamas Tour.
- NBCSports.com Midseason All-American Team 0
- Kentucky still has one more major test to pass this season and it might not come against Louisville 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: The showdown between Kentucky, Louisville looms 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Ohio State Buckeyes 0
- Weekly Awards: Marquette’s new addition, a shakeup in Pac-12’s power structure ? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top 25: Virginia moves up, three teams drop out 1
- ACC suspends Louisville junior forward Montrezl Harrell one game 0
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Tracking The Unbeatens: There are now just nine teams without a loss (3)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)