Aug 30, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery has his first verbal commitment in the Class of 2017, and it comes from a talented player who lives under the same roof.
6-foot-5 guard Connor McCaffery, Fran’s son, has decided that he wants to play for his father at the college level. The younger McCaffery’s decision was made public by the program he played for this spring/summer, the Iowa Barnstormers.
Connor played his freshman season at Iowa City West HS, running the point for a team that would win its fourth consecutive state title this past spring. In an article written by The Daily Iowan, the University of Iowa’s school newspaper, the elder McCaffery touched on a couple of the attributes that have made Connor one of the better players in the Class of 2017.
“There aren’t a lot of 6-foot-5, 195-pound freshmen, but I think the thing that sets him apart is his understanding of how to play,” Fran McCaffery said. “He sees the floor, he knows the strengths and weaknesses of his teammates, and knows what his coach wants. He figures out what the opposition is trying to do and is way ahead and has the ability to make [his teammates] more comfortable.”
All signs point to his son becoming a great player, so there’s a $1 million question for Hawkeye fans: “I’m fairly certain that’s where it’ll end up,” Fran McCaffery said. “He’ll play for me.”
Saturday evening Connor McCaffery’s decision, one that was expected, became public. With Connor still three years away from joining the program, the majority of the players on the current Iowa roster will be gone when that time comes. But given the father/son connection, it isn’t as if he won’t have a good grasp of the roster situation when that time comes.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)