Aug 30, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Providence has been waiting on former McDonald’s All-American Kris Dunn to have a full and healthy season, but until that happens, the Friars and head coach Ed Cooley added some more guard depth in the 2014 class on Friday with the commitment of German guard Tyree Chambers.
Chambers’ commitment to Providence was first reported by Big East Coast Bias.
The 6-foot-2 Chambers should compete for minutes with incoming freshman Kyron Cartwright and give Providence some more breathing room if Dunn gets hurt again.
The 20-year-old Chambers played for Medi Bayreuth in Germany the last two seasons, according to RealGM. Chambers likely won’t see many minutes if Dunn is healthy, but having another able-bodied guard on the roster certainly doesn’t hurt now that Bryce Cotton has exhausted his eligibility and can’t play nearly 40 minutes a game for the Friars anymore.
Providence also added a guard commitment in the 2015 class this week as Drew Edwards pledged to the Friars as well.
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)