Aug 30, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Providence has been waiting on former McDonald’s All-American Kris Dunn to have a full and healthy season, but until that happens, the Friars and head coach Ed Cooley added some more guard depth in the 2014 class on Friday with the commitment of German guard Tyree Chambers.
Chambers’ commitment to Providence was first reported by Big East Coast Bias.
The 6-foot-2 Chambers should compete for minutes with incoming freshman Kyron Cartwright and give Providence some more breathing room if Dunn gets hurt again.
The 20-year-old Chambers played for Medi Bayreuth in Germany the last two seasons, according to RealGM. Chambers likely won’t see many minutes if Dunn is healthy, but having another able-bodied guard on the roster certainly doesn’t hurt now that Bryce Cotton has exhausted his eligibility and can’t play nearly 40 minutes a game for the Friars anymore.
Providence also added a guard commitment in the 2015 class this week as Drew Edwards pledged to the Friars as well.
- Kyle Wiltjer to return to Gonzaga for his senior season 0
- Utah’s Jakob Poeltl will return to school for his sophomore season 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Former Kansas State guard transferring to Creighton 0
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)