Aug 31, 2014, 10:25 PM EST
This past week has been a busy one for Kansas State head coach Bruce Weber and his staff, with two Class of 2015 prospects verbally committing to join the program next season. Four days after guard Barry Brown made his decision to become a Wildcat, 6-foot-9 forward Dean Wade followed suit. Wade’s a native of St. John, Kansas, and his verbal pledge makes him the first in-state product to commit to Kansas State during Weber’s tenure.
News of Wade’s commitment was first reported by Brett Regan of Rivals.com.
As a junior Wade averaged 21.9 points, eight rebounds and 3.7 blocks per game on a team that went 26-0 and won a Kansas Class 2A state title. His playing during the spring and summer that led to added interest from mid- and high-major programs, and in the end Dean picked Kansas State over schools such as Creighton, Iowa, Vanderbilt and Wichita State. Rivals.com currently has Wade ranked 107th in the Class of 2015.
Dean, who also had praise for the Kansas State coaches and fan base, told Kellis Robinett of the Wichita Eagle that the closeness of the team was one reason why he made the decision to commit to the Big 12 program.
“Everything about Kansas State excites me,” Wade said. “The team is really family oriented. They are always around each other, always having fun. Then they go play basketball and they are serious. It’s just a really good group to be around.”
Kansas State will lose two forwards at the end of the 2014-15 season, as both Nino Williams and Thomas Gipson are seniors. Among the front court players who will return in 2015 are sophomores Wesley Iwundu and Brandon Bolden, and freshman Malek Harris. In total Kansas State has three 2015 verbal commitments, with Brown and Wade joining Eric Cobb in the Wildcats’ recruiting haul.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 2
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 2
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 1
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (10)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)