Sep 1, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
Tom Izzo is one of the most popular basketball coaches in the country, and it isn’t only because he’s won a national title and taken his Michigan State program to six Final Fours in his 19 years.
Izzo just seems to get it, and a story that came out this weekend from an ESPN golf writer is a perfect example of that.
Lance Bennett is the caddy for tour pro Matt Kuchar. His wife died unexpectedly this weekend. Bennett is a huge Michigan State fan, and Izzo caught wind of this story.
Izzo learned that Lance Bennett was a huge Spartans basketball fan and went on a mission to contact him.
After making a few calls (six degrees of separation is true), by Friday morning Izzo had Bennett’s phone number. Bennett didn’t recognize the incoming number at first and let the call go to voicemail. The coach left him a message, but called back again, just in case.
Bennett answered this time, even though he hadn’t heard the voicemail, so it was a complete surprise for him to hear Izzo’s voice on the other end of the call. They spoke for about 15 minutes.
It’s a nice gesture, one that Izzo didn’t have to do that surely helped someone in a bad spot.
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Report: Gonzaga’s Josh Perkins broke his jaw (4)