Sep 1, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Tom Izzo is one of the most popular basketball coaches in the country, and it isn’t only because he’s won a national title and taken his Michigan State program to six Final Fours in his 19 years.
Izzo just seems to get it, and a story that came out this weekend from an ESPN golf writer is a perfect example of that.
Lance Bennett is the caddy for tour pro Matt Kuchar. His wife died unexpectedly this weekend. Bennett is a huge Michigan State fan, and Izzo caught wind of this story.
Izzo learned that Lance Bennett was a huge Spartans basketball fan and went on a mission to contact him.
After making a few calls (six degrees of separation is true), by Friday morning Izzo had Bennett’s phone number. Bennett didn’t recognize the incoming number at first and let the call go to voicemail. The coach left him a message, but called back again, just in case.
Bennett answered this time, even though he hadn’t heard the voicemail, so it was a complete surprise for him to hear Izzo’s voice on the other end of the call. They spoke for about 15 minutes.
It’s a nice gesture, one that Izzo didn’t have to do that surely helped someone in a bad spot.
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 5
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (5)