Sep 1, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Tom Izzo is one of the most popular basketball coaches in the country, and it isn’t only because he’s won a national title and taken his Michigan State program to six Final Fours in his 19 years.
Izzo just seems to get it, and a story that came out this weekend from an ESPN golf writer is a perfect example of that.
Lance Bennett is the caddy for tour pro Matt Kuchar. His wife died unexpectedly this weekend. Bennett is a huge Michigan State fan, and Izzo caught wind of this story.
Izzo learned that Lance Bennett was a huge Spartans basketball fan and went on a mission to contact him.
After making a few calls (six degrees of separation is true), by Friday morning Izzo had Bennett’s phone number. Bennett didn’t recognize the incoming number at first and let the call go to voicemail. The coach left him a message, but called back again, just in case.
Bennett answered this time, even though he hadn’t heard the voicemail, so it was a complete surprise for him to hear Izzo’s voice on the other end of the call. They spoke for about 15 minutes.
It’s a nice gesture, one that Izzo didn’t have to do that surely helped someone in a bad spot.
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)