Sep 1, 2014, 12:54 PM EDT
Jayson Tatum is a consensus top five recruit in the Class of 2016, and depending on who you ask, he may actually be the best prospect in all of high school basketball.
A 6-foot-8 wing, Tatum is a silky-smooth scorer with long arms and the kind of glide going to the rim that makes it look like he’s barely trying to blow by defenders off the dribble. He needs to add strength to his frame and improve his perimeter jumper, and his lack of elite-level explosiveness is a bit of a concern moving forward, but there’s no doubt that Tatum is as good as anyone in a class that may end up being better than the Class of 2013.
On Monday, Tatum announced his final ten schools: Arizona, Duke, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Mizzou, North Carolina, Saint Louis, UConn and Wake Forest.
Seeing Saint Louis — and, to a point, Missouri — on a list with the likes of Arizona, Kansas, Duke and Kentucky is a little bit confusing unless you know Tatum’s back story, as Raphielle Johnson detailed here. Tatum is from Saint Louis. His father, Justin, played there, as did his godfather, Larry Hughes.
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)