Sep 2, 2014, 12:39 PM EST
The Iowa basketball family got some bad news over the weekend when Hawkeye legend Roy Marble was diagnosed with cancer.
According to the Des Moines Register, three tumors were discovered on Marble’s head — behind his eye, on his face and and on his temple — and that they not only were malignant but the cancer has spread to other parts of his body.
Marble is not only the all-time leading scorer in the history of the Iowa program, but he is also the father of Roy Devyn Marble, who was an all-Big Ten selection as the Hawkeye’s leading scorer last season. Devyn Marble graduated this past spring and has since signed with the Orlando Magic.
Cancer has already touched the Iowa program this year. Back in March, head coach Fran McCaffery’s son Patrick had a tumor removed from his thyroid that turned out to be malignant. His surgery was on the same day as Iowa’s First Four game against Tennessee. In June, Patrick had a scan that showed his thyroid was cancer-free.
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 9
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (10)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)