Sep 2, 2014, 12:39 PM EDT
The Iowa basketball family got some bad news over the weekend when Hawkeye legend Roy Marble was diagnosed with cancer.
According to the Des Moines Register, three tumors were discovered on Marble’s head — behind his eye, on his face and and on his temple — and that they not only were malignant but the cancer has spread to other parts of his body.
Marble is not only the all-time leading scorer in the history of the Iowa program, but he is also the father of Roy Devyn Marble, who was an all-Big Ten selection as the Hawkeye’s leading scorer last season. Devyn Marble graduated this past spring and has since signed with the Orlando Magic.
Cancer has already touched the Iowa program this year. Back in March, head coach Fran McCaffery’s son Patrick had a tumor removed from his thyroid that turned out to be malignant. His surgery was on the same day as Iowa’s First Four game against Tennessee. In June, Patrick had a scan that showed his thyroid was cancer-free.
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Green Bay’s Keifer Sykes maintains the chip on his shoulder 0
- Skal Labissiere, Reach Your Dreams Prep and why this isn’t as scuzzy as it sounds 0
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)