Sep 2, 2014, 8:00 PM EST
Georgetown will soon break ground on a brand-new, four-story practice facility named after legendary former head coach John Thompson, and two more former Hoyas that are now in the NBA have each pledged $1 million to support the building.
After Hall of Fame center Patrick Ewing and his agent, David Falk, pledged $3.3 million to the new practice facility in late August, Boston Celtics wing Jeff Green and Indiana Pacers center Roy Hibbert have both stepped up and donated as well.
Green donated $1 million on his 28th birthday late last week. In college, Green helped lead the Hoyas to a Final Four appearance in 2007.
“I’m very fortunate to be in a position to give back to the University and to the program that has done so much for me,” Green said in a release. “The environment created by Coach (John) Thompson III and his staff helped shape me both academically and athletically. Georgetown and Georgetown Basketball is at my core and is part of who I am.”
Hibbert made his donation on Tuesday, which comes on Thompson’s 73rd birthday. Although both Green and Hibbert played for John Thompson III, the elder Thompson still had a big impact on Georgetown basketball during their careers.
“I am deeply indebted to Georgetown University and the basketball program for all they have done for me,” Hibbert said in a release. “I put in a lot of hard work to get where I am, but I was given a tremendous amount of guidance both on and off the floor from Coach Thompson III and I wouldn’t be here without him.”
The Thompson Athletics Center will have ground break on September 12th and will cost $62 million, all of which is being raised. The practice facility will be 144,000 square feet and include practice courts, meeting rooms, coaches’ offices for the men’s and women’s basketball programs and a weight room.
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)