Sep 3, 2014, 3:47 PM EST
There are few things in the college basketball coaching world that are guaranteed, but one thing that you can feel quite comfortable betting on is that the successor to Mike Krzyzewski at Duke is going to be one of Coach K’s protégés.
Whether that ends up being Steve Wojciechowski, Chris Collins, Johnny Dawkins, Mike Brey or whoever is up for debate, but when Coach K decides to call it a career, whoever replaces him will already be a part of the Duke family.
But the big question these days isn’t who will replace Coach K but rather when will someone be needed to replace him. In other words, when will Coach K be retiring?
And according to a story from Gary Parrish of CBSSports.com, it doesn’t appear to be anytime soon:
“He’s gonna be around,” [Chris] Carrawell said. “And I don’t mean just another five years or something. I mean, he’s gonna be around.”
Wojciechowski echoed those words.
“Coach is young and vibrant and current, so I can’t see him retiring any time soon,” Wojciechowski said. “I think he loves it, and his family is entrenched in the program, and they’re going to be good year after year. … So I just don’t see him retiring any time soon.”
Coach K is 67 years old. He’s now not only running the Duke program, but he will also be the head coach of Team USA until the 2016 Olympics are over. Common sense would say that, eventually, Coach K will tire of working, but that doesn’t look like it will happen anytime in the near future.
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 0
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)