Sep 3, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
This summer 6-foot-7 forward Jaylen Brown (Marietta, Georgia) cemented his status as one of the best players in the Class of 2015, with Rivals rating him as the second-best prospect behind Montverde Academy forward Ben Simmons. But unlike some other five-star players who have taken the step of narrowing their recruiting lists, Brown’s been rather quiet and with good reason.
While there are prospects who look to end their recruitment before the start of the high school season, there are others who would rather wait until the spring to do so. Reasons for this include wanting to keep tabs on the coaching carousel and early departures to the NBA Draft, with both having a significant impact on the roster the player could potentially join.
In an article written by Michael Carvell of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, it was revealed that Brown will take an official visit to Kansas on October 10. Also of note is the fact that not much has changed with regards to when Brown will make a decision according to his mother.
One last thing: Brown is still leaning toward waiting until after his senior season to reveal his college decision. One reason for the delay is that it will give Brown time to evaluate the tons of coaching changes and early NBA departures after every college season.
“Jaylen waiting until his senior season is still on the table at this time,” his mother said. “This is a very difficult decision and I want Jaylen to be at peace with his choice and not be rushed. I also want him to feel comfortable that his choice covers where he can excel in both academics and athletics.”
For each prospect the way in which they choose to handle their recruitment is up to them; there’s no one set way of navigating the process. It’s all about comfort, and if Brown and his family are most comfortable with waiting until the spring before making a choice that’s perfectly fine. Among the schools who have offered Brown are Kansas, Kentucky, UCLA, Georgia and Georgia Tech.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 6
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 3
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)