Sep 3, 2014, 2:49 PM EST
Dominic Artis has found a place to continue his basketball career, although it will be some time before he plays in an actual game.
Artis will spend the 2014-2015 school year at Diablo Valley College, according to Brad Winton of JuCoRecruiting.com. Diablo Valley is a community college in the Bay Area in California, where Artis is from.
While Artis will be practicing with the team, he won’t be playing any games, according to Winton, which is actually a smart move. Essentially, Artis will be redshirting the 2014-2015 season, and as long as he receives an associate’s degree from Diablo Valley, he will be able to transfer to a Division I school for the 2015-2016 season and keep his remaining two seasons of eligibility.
Artis was one of the three players kicked off of the Oregon team during the spring after being accused of sexual assault by a student at the school. An extra year, presumably of good behavior, should help lessen the red flags and concerns surrounding a player with a sexual assault allegation hanging over his head. That, in turn, might make it more likely that Artis, a former top 100 recruit, get another chance at a high-major program.
Brandon Austin, who was also suspended by Providence for the 2013-2014 season after a different sexual assault allegation, will continue his career at Northwest Florida College this year. Damyean Dotson has not found a landing spot yet.
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 1
- Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)