Sep 3, 2014, 5:18 PM EST
Wednesday afternoon the Texas A&M athletic department announced contract extensions for a few of their head coaches, with head men’s basketball coach Billy Kennedy being one of the recipients. There won’t be any changes to Kennedy’s contract from a compensation standpoint, but two years have been tacked onto a deal that was originally set to expire at the end of the 2015-16 season.
In discussing the move, Texas A&M athletic director Eric Hyman made note of the improvements the basketball program has made in the classroom as one reason why Kennedy has received the extension.
“Coach Kennedy understands our commitment to building champions both in the classroom and in competition,” Hyman said in the release. “Our basketball program has made tremendous strides academically under Billy’s leadership, while he has also raised the overall on-court talent level of our student-athletes.
“Our ultimate goal is to build the Texas A&M basketball program the right way, with a foundation for sustained postseason success.”
The process of building the program into one capable of returning to the NCAA tournament is now in its fourth season, with the Aggies looking to earn their first NCAA tournament appearance since 2011. Forward Kourtney Roberson and guard Alex Caruso are among the returnees for a team that lost its lone double-digit scorer (Jamal Jones). Texas A&M adds four freshmen, with point guard Alex Robinson being the most noteworthy addition of the four.
In three seasons at Texas A&M, Kennedy has compiled a record of 50 wins and 49 losses.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)