Sep 3, 2014, 5:18 PM EDT
Wednesday afternoon the Texas A&M athletic department announced contract extensions for a few of their head coaches, with head men’s basketball coach Billy Kennedy being one of the recipients. There won’t be any changes to Kennedy’s contract from a compensation standpoint, but two years have been tacked onto a deal that was originally set to expire at the end of the 2015-16 season.
In discussing the move, Texas A&M athletic director Eric Hyman made note of the improvements the basketball program has made in the classroom as one reason why Kennedy has received the extension.
“Coach Kennedy understands our commitment to building champions both in the classroom and in competition,” Hyman said in the release. “Our basketball program has made tremendous strides academically under Billy’s leadership, while he has also raised the overall on-court talent level of our student-athletes.
“Our ultimate goal is to build the Texas A&M basketball program the right way, with a foundation for sustained postseason success.”
The process of building the program into one capable of returning to the NCAA tournament is now in its fourth season, with the Aggies looking to earn their first NCAA tournament appearance since 2011. Forward Kourtney Roberson and guard Alex Caruso are among the returnees for a team that lost its lone double-digit scorer (Jamal Jones). Texas A&M adds four freshmen, with point guard Alex Robinson being the most noteworthy addition of the four.
In three seasons at Texas A&M, Kennedy has compiled a record of 50 wins and 49 losses.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)