Sep 3, 2014, 5:18 PM EDT
Wednesday afternoon the Texas A&M athletic department announced contract extensions for a few of their head coaches, with head men’s basketball coach Billy Kennedy being one of the recipients. There won’t be any changes to Kennedy’s contract from a compensation standpoint, but two years have been tacked onto a deal that was originally set to expire at the end of the 2015-16 season.
In discussing the move, Texas A&M athletic director Eric Hyman made note of the improvements the basketball program has made in the classroom as one reason why Kennedy has received the extension.
“Coach Kennedy understands our commitment to building champions both in the classroom and in competition,” Hyman said in the release. “Our basketball program has made tremendous strides academically under Billy’s leadership, while he has also raised the overall on-court talent level of our student-athletes.
“Our ultimate goal is to build the Texas A&M basketball program the right way, with a foundation for sustained postseason success.”
The process of building the program into one capable of returning to the NCAA tournament is now in its fourth season, with the Aggies looking to earn their first NCAA tournament appearance since 2011. Forward Kourtney Roberson and guard Alex Caruso are among the returnees for a team that lost its lone double-digit scorer (Jamal Jones). Texas A&M adds four freshmen, with point guard Alex Robinson being the most noteworthy addition of the four.
In three seasons at Texas A&M, Kennedy has compiled a record of 50 wins and 49 losses.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)