Sep 3, 2014, 7:07 PM EDT
UNLV was dealt a blow to its backcourt depth Wednesday afternoon, as it was announced by the school that junior guard Daquan Cook will miss the entire 2014-15 season after tearing the ACL in his right knee. Cook was expected to serve as a reserve on this year’s team, and not having him in the fold means that head coach Dave Rice will have one less possible option to call upon at the point guard position.
“We feel terrible for Daquan,” Rice said in a statement according to Taylor Bern of the Las Vegas Sun. “He is an important part of our program and will have our full support as he goes through this challenge.”
As a sophomore Cook played an average of 8.5 minutes per contest, accounting for 1.8 points per game. The plan for Cook is to redshirt in 2014-15, with the Baltimore native having two seasons of eligibility starting with the 2015-16 campaign. The issue for UNLV is that their two most experienced transfers, Cody Doolin and Jerome Seagears, are still waiting for the NCAA to approve their respective requests for waivers that would make them eligible to play immediately.
Doolin’s request for a waiver that would effectively give back his senior season was granted in mid-August, with the former San Francisco point guard playing four games before leaving the program in 2013-14. But his playing in four games meant that Doolin and UNLV had to file two separate waiver requests, and the answer they receive on the second will have a significant impact on the Runnin’ Rebels fortunes in 2014-15.
Seagears’ request comes as a result of his leaving Rutgers at the end of the 2013-14 season, with the argument being that the player abuse scandal that led to Mike Rice being fired had an impact on his decision to transfer.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)