Sep 4, 2014, 10:45 PM EST
Having already received verbal commitments from guard Donovan Mitchell and forwards Deng Adel and Raymond Spalding, Louisville head coach Rick Pitino has one of the best recruiting hauls in the Class of 2015. On Thursday night the Cardinals’ class got even better, as five-star guard Antonio Blakeney announced via Twitter that he has committed to the ACC school.
Rivals currently ranks Blakeney as the 13th-best prospect in the Class of 2015, and his explosive offensive game is an attribute that stuck out in his game throughout the spring and summer. Blakeney’s decision to commit to Louisville comes a few days after his official visit to the school last weekend.
Blakeney averaged just over 25 points and five rebounds per game as a junior at Oak Ridge HS in Orlando, Florida, and he played his summer basketball for the Each 1 Teach 1 program. During Nike EYBL play Blakeney averaged 19.5 points and 3.6 rebounds per game.
Adding Blakeney to the backcourt rotation gives Louisville another explosive piece in 2015-16. He, Mitchell and Adel will join a group that will most likely include holdovers such as Terry Rozier, Anton Gill and current freshmen Quentin Snider and Shaqquan Aaron. The Cardinals, who will make their debut in the ACC this season, lose Chris Jones and Wayne Blackshear at the conclusion of the 2014-15 campaign.
The six schools Louisville beat out for Blakeney’s pledge were Florida State, Kentucky, LSU, Missouri, Oregon and USC.
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 0
- Throwback Thursday: UConn ‘Shocks The World’ against Duke (VIDEO) 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: Virginia Cavaliers 1
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 1
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 2
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 0
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (5)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)