Sep 4, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
Having already received verbal commitments from guard Donovan Mitchell and forwards Deng Adel and Raymond Spalding, Louisville head coach Rick Pitino has one of the best recruiting hauls in the Class of 2015. On Thursday night the Cardinals’ class got even better, as five-star guard Antonio Blakeney announced via Twitter that he has committed to the ACC school.
Rivals currently ranks Blakeney as the 13th-best prospect in the Class of 2015, and his explosive offensive game is an attribute that stuck out in his game throughout the spring and summer. Blakeney’s decision to commit to Louisville comes a few days after his official visit to the school last weekend.
Blakeney averaged just over 25 points and five rebounds per game as a junior at Oak Ridge HS in Orlando, Florida, and he played his summer basketball for the Each 1 Teach 1 program. During Nike EYBL play Blakeney averaged 19.5 points and 3.6 rebounds per game.
Adding Blakeney to the backcourt rotation gives Louisville another explosive piece in 2015-16. He, Mitchell and Adel will join a group that will most likely include holdovers such as Terry Rozier, Anton Gill and current freshmen Quentin Snider and Shaqquan Aaron. The Cardinals, who will make their debut in the ACC this season, lose Chris Jones and Wayne Blackshear at the conclusion of the 2014-15 campaign.
The six schools Louisville beat out for Blakeney’s pledge were Florida State, Kentucky, LSU, Missouri, Oregon and USC.
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 1
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 1
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 2
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 4
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 22
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 13
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (85)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (22)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)