Sep 4, 2014, 10:45 PM EST
Having already received verbal commitments from guard Donovan Mitchell and forwards Deng Adel and Raymond Spalding, Louisville head coach Rick Pitino has one of the best recruiting hauls in the Class of 2015. On Thursday night the Cardinals’ class got even better, as five-star guard Antonio Blakeney announced via Twitter that he has committed to the ACC school.
Rivals currently ranks Blakeney as the 13th-best prospect in the Class of 2015, and his explosive offensive game is an attribute that stuck out in his game throughout the spring and summer. Blakeney’s decision to commit to Louisville comes a few days after his official visit to the school last weekend.
Blakeney averaged just over 25 points and five rebounds per game as a junior at Oak Ridge HS in Orlando, Florida, and he played his summer basketball for the Each 1 Teach 1 program. During Nike EYBL play Blakeney averaged 19.5 points and 3.6 rebounds per game.
Adding Blakeney to the backcourt rotation gives Louisville another explosive piece in 2015-16. He, Mitchell and Adel will join a group that will most likely include holdovers such as Terry Rozier, Anton Gill and current freshmen Quentin Snider and Shaqquan Aaron. The Cardinals, who will make their debut in the ACC this season, lose Chris Jones and Wayne Blackshear at the conclusion of the 2014-15 campaign.
The six schools Louisville beat out for Blakeney’s pledge were Florida State, Kentucky, LSU, Missouri, Oregon and USC.
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 0
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)