Sep 4, 2014, 4:56 PM EST
When four-star forward Mickey Mitchell announced his decision to decommit from Ohio State last month, it seemed as if the two parties would go their separate ways. With Mitchell’s older brother having transferred from Ohio State to Texas Tech, the family connection that was present when he committed to Thad Matta’s program was no longer there.
However, Mitchell will be visiting Columbus this weekend along with friend and current Ohio State commit Austin Grandstaff. And according to Bob Baptist of the Columbus Dispatch, Mitchell’s visit will be of the official variety.
In fact, Grandstaff said, Mitchell will be making an official visit, meaning almost all of his expenses, including air fare and hotel, will be paid by coach Thad Matta’s program. Grandstaff and Mitchell had planned before Mitchell’s decommitment to visit the campus together this weekend.
“He hasn’t taken Ohio State off his list or anything,” said Grandstaff, who committed to the Buckeyes in May after taking his official visit to campus.
Quite often then a player reopens his recruitment he’ll say that the school that lost his pledge is still being considered, but it’s rare to have them arrive at the same decision. Will that be the case for Mitchell? That remains to be seen, but to get Mitchell on campus (with Grandstaff and another commit in point guard A.J. Harris) likely means exactly what Grandstaff said in the quote above.
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 0
- Rick Pitino on Terry Rozier’s impending NBA Draft decision: ‘He’s not coming back’ 0
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)