Sep 4, 2014, 4:56 PM EST
When four-star forward Mickey Mitchell announced his decision to decommit from Ohio State last month, it seemed as if the two parties would go their separate ways. With Mitchell’s older brother having transferred from Ohio State to Texas Tech, the family connection that was present when he committed to Thad Matta’s program was no longer there.
However, Mitchell will be visiting Columbus this weekend along with friend and current Ohio State commit Austin Grandstaff. And according to Bob Baptist of the Columbus Dispatch, Mitchell’s visit will be of the official variety.
In fact, Grandstaff said, Mitchell will be making an official visit, meaning almost all of his expenses, including air fare and hotel, will be paid by coach Thad Matta’s program. Grandstaff and Mitchell had planned before Mitchell’s decommitment to visit the campus together this weekend.
“He hasn’t taken Ohio State off his list or anything,” said Grandstaff, who committed to the Buckeyes in May after taking his official visit to campus.
Quite often then a player reopens his recruitment he’ll say that the school that lost his pledge is still being considered, but it’s rare to have them arrive at the same decision. Will that be the case for Mitchell? That remains to be seen, but to get Mitchell on campus (with Grandstaff and another commit in point guard A.J. Harris) likely means exactly what Grandstaff said in the quote above.
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 5
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 3
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (5)
- Sophomore forward Semi Ojeleye to transfer from Duke (3)