Sep 4, 2014, 4:56 PM EST
When four-star forward Mickey Mitchell announced his decision to decommit from Ohio State last month, it seemed as if the two parties would go their separate ways. With Mitchell’s older brother having transferred from Ohio State to Texas Tech, the family connection that was present when he committed to Thad Matta’s program was no longer there.
However, Mitchell will be visiting Columbus this weekend along with friend and current Ohio State commit Austin Grandstaff. And according to Bob Baptist of the Columbus Dispatch, Mitchell’s visit will be of the official variety.
In fact, Grandstaff said, Mitchell will be making an official visit, meaning almost all of his expenses, including air fare and hotel, will be paid by coach Thad Matta’s program. Grandstaff and Mitchell had planned before Mitchell’s decommitment to visit the campus together this weekend.
“He hasn’t taken Ohio State off his list or anything,” said Grandstaff, who committed to the Buckeyes in May after taking his official visit to campus.
Quite often then a player reopens his recruitment he’ll say that the school that lost his pledge is still being considered, but it’s rare to have them arrive at the same decision. Will that be the case for Mitchell? That remains to be seen, but to get Mitchell on campus (with Grandstaff and another commit in point guard A.J. Harris) likely means exactly what Grandstaff said in the quote above.
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 0
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 4
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)