Sep 4, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
For years, the NIT Season Tip-Off had been one of the most entertaining November tournaments to watch because it was the only one that included 16 teams and allowed for the hosts of the first two rounds — the four major programs that were taking part — to be at risk of missing out on the finals.
Two years ago, Delaware knocked off Virginia to advance to Madison Square Garden for the semifinals of the event. Back in 2006, Butler did the same thing, only the Bulldogs ended up winning the entire event.
That’s all going to change this season, according to a report from ESPN.com, as the NIT Season Tip-Off will be forced into the standard, four-team showcase format. The organizers were only able to get eight teams to sign up, meaning that the event itself will feature Georgia, Gonzaga, Minnesota and St. John’s determining a champion on the Wednesday and Friday surrounding Thanksgiving. The other four teams that had signed on — Stony Brook, LIU, St. Joseph’s and Western Kentucky — will play a double-header at Madison Square Garden on Thanksgiving Day.
In addition, there will be four non-conference games played, with St. Joseph’s traveling to Gonzaga, Stony Brook visiting Georgia, Western Kentucky tripping up to Minnesota and LIU taking on St. John’s.
The event will likely be held in the same format in 2015 and beyond.
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Contender for No. 1 in 2016 class, Harry Giles, cuts list to five 10
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)