Sep 4, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
Back in late March the Atlantic 10 deciding to move its conference tournament from the Barclays Center in Brooklyn in 2017 and 2018 to allow the ACC to move its annual event north, with the A-10 also receiving benefits in non-conference scheduling in the future. What was left to be determined is where the A-10 will play its men’s basketball tournament in 2017 and 2018, and on Thursday, the league made it official.
Pittsburgh will host the 2017 Atlantic 10 tournament with Washington, D.C. getting the honor the following season.
Both cities have quality arenas to host the event, with Consol Energy Center in Pittsburgh and the Verizon Center in D.C. And there are Atlantic 10 members in both cities as well, with Duquesne being located in Pittsburgh and George Washington in the nation’s capital. Also of note with regards to Washington, D.C. is the fact that George Mason is located in nearby Fairfax, Virginia and Richmond (where both Richmond and VCU are located) is about two hours away.
The Verizon Center will host three different conference tournaments from 2016 to 2018, with the ACC there in 2016 and the Big Ten the following year due to the addition of new member Maryland.
After spending two seasons away from the Barclays Center the Atlantic 10 tournament will return in 2019, with that portion of the agreement running through 2021. Among the benefits received by the Atlantic 10 in exchange for the move are doubleheaders against ACC teams in 2015, 2016 and 2017 and an annual spot in the Brooklyn Hoops events held at the arena.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)