Sep 4, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
Back in late March the Atlantic 10 deciding to move its conference tournament from the Barclays Center in Brooklyn in 2017 and 2018 to allow the ACC to move its annual event north, with the A-10 also receiving benefits in non-conference scheduling in the future. What was left to be determined is where the A-10 will play its men’s basketball tournament in 2017 and 2018, and on Thursday, the league made it official.
Pittsburgh will host the 2017 Atlantic 10 tournament with Washington, D.C. getting the honor the following season.
Both cities have quality arenas to host the event, with Consol Energy Center in Pittsburgh and the Verizon Center in D.C. And there are Atlantic 10 members in both cities as well, with Duquesne being located in Pittsburgh and George Washington in the nation’s capital. Also of note with regards to Washington, D.C. is the fact that George Mason is located in nearby Fairfax, Virginia and Richmond (where both Richmond and VCU are located) is about two hours away.
The Verizon Center will host three different conference tournaments from 2016 to 2018, with the ACC there in 2016 and the Big Ten the following year due to the addition of new member Maryland.
After spending two seasons away from the Barclays Center the Atlantic 10 tournament will return in 2019, with that portion of the agreement running through 2021. Among the benefits received by the Atlantic 10 in exchange for the move are doubleheaders against ACC teams in 2015, 2016 and 2017 and an annual spot in the Brooklyn Hoops events held at the arena.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 2
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)