Sep 4, 2014, 9:44 AM EST
The most impressive collegian playing at the FIBA World Cup has been Yanick Moreira, and he put together one of the best performances of the entire event on Thursday.
The rising senior big man at SMU finished with 38 points and 15 boards, 10 of which came on the offensive end of the floor, as Angola knocked off Australia, 91-83, in the final game of group play. Moreira had 34 points in the second half.
That came of the heels of a 20-point outing against Slovenia, one of the best teams in the event.
(*One thing that is worth noting here is that a loss might have been what the Aussies were playing for. Finishing second in Group D would mean they would have to play the Americans in the quarterfinals of bracket play. A third place finish in the group means the Aussies miss out of Team USA until the semis.)
This kind of performance from Moreira is a very positive sign for the Mustangs. Larry Brown’s club already has one of the better big men in the country in Markus Kennedy, the former Villanova Wildcat, and may end up with former Texas Tech big man Jordan Tolbert eligible for this season as well. Even if Tolbert is forced to sit out the 2014-2015 season, SMU may end up having the best front court in the American.
Losing Emmanuel Mudiay hurt, there is no question about that. But with Nic Moore and Keith Frazier back and Xavier transfer Justin Martin eligible this season, there is enough talent on that roster for Brown to turn them into a top 15-caliber team.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 2
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)